cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Turnitin + Canvas: submissions appearing on the wrong assignment

Symptom: Students submit to the Turnitin LTI and Turnitin returns the submission to the wrong assignment.

Cause: Students who have opened multiple TII assignments in different tabs will see this issue. Turnitin stores information about the current LTI launch in the session. When a new launch is done the old launch data is overwritten even if the first launch is still open in another tab.

Detection: A submission will be missing from one assignment but appear on another. Generally, a student will be able to report this to their teacher since they know which submissions should belong on which assignment.

What’s already been done: Canvas has reported the steps to reproduce this issue to Turnitin and Turnitin has opened an issue with their engineers to investigate a solution.

Workaround: Students can avoid this problem by not multi-tabbing TII assignments, or by refresh the tab for the assignment they want to submit to before submitting.

Alliance Partner - Turnitin

Tags (2)
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​...

I'm wondering if this kind of write-up would be better as a document or a blog posting?  Since you've got a "symptom" and a "workaround" for people to use, I think it would be better as a document or a blog vs. where you've posted this as a question in the "Find Answers" area of the Community.  What are your thoughts?  Again, I'll tag dhulsey@nmjc.edu​ to see if he has any thoughts on this one, too.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Collecting a list of known issues and workarounds with the TII integration in one place would be a great benefit, especially since Jesse, as an Instructure employee, has a more direct line of communication than customers of Canvas / TII. I agree with Chris that a document or blog post would be an excellent format, making it easier for people to locate, follow, and point others to known issues and workarounds.

Regardless of the format, thank you for providing this information, Jesse!

Highlighted

You are free to link to these issues in one place, as I have already done here in other "Kitchen sink" type threads. From our perspective, the kitchen sink approach is bad for users because it allows users to "hijack" a thread with their own issue. We feel that they should keep issues separated so that the discussion can stay on topic.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

It is posted as an discussion because we want people to add their thoughts related to how they think the issue may be resolved, or to report any workarounds that they have found. It's meant to be an answer to a specific problem.

Highlighted
Learner II

Could a similar mix-up between TII assignments happen if an instructor opens multiple tabs to different TII LTI assignments? I'm wondering because one of our instructors had a strange thing happen where her assignment completely disappeared in Canvas after students had submitted to the assignment. This was an assignment that also required a peermark portion, but the assignment disappeared before the students could complete the peermark portion.

I'm not sure of all the details on what happened, but when I took a look after the fact, I can see that she created a new assignment after the old one disappeared. The student submissions that were uploaded before the assignment disappeared actually show up in speedgrader on the new assignment, however, they do not show up in the LTI area of the new assignment. They do show up if the instructor logs in to TII (not through the LTI), and they show up in the old assignment. The remaining problem is that students now are not able to participate in the peer assessment portion of this assignment, because the LTI does not recognize that any submissions occurred.

Highlighted

sphinney@portervillecollege.edu​ I would recommend opening this issue up with our support team for further investigation. It's possibly related to multi-tabbing, but I have not yet heard of behaviors like this.

Highlighted

Thanks @Jesse Poulos. I'll do that.

Highlighted

Hi, Sarah. I have had this happen, but it has been awhile. If you contact TII support, they can move student submissions from the old assignment to the new assignment so that students can participate in Peermark. Although, given the speed of a support ticket, it might be easier to ask the students to resubmit to the new assignment.

Highlighted

Thanks Dallas! Not that I'm happy this happened to you, but at least I feel better that maybe this is something that they have seen before and can solve. Also your work-around is exactly what I suggested to the instructor, but she needed access very quickly so she ended up uploading all of the submissions herself to the new assignment.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels