cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Turnitin LTI / Missing Submissions

Jump to solution

I'm receiving a lot of contacts from students who report that they submitted an assignment via the Turnitin LTI but their submission no longer shows up in Canvas. I see them submitting the assignment and visiting the /submissions page, presumably to check their submission. This isn't terribly unusual during the semester-start (missing submission contacts) but it is unusual to see so many coming from one tool. Given that we're only able to look at it after the fact (because the students don't notice until later that it isn't there) I haven't been able to do much troubleshooting.

Anyone else out there seeing similar issues?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hey, Emily. I have not seen this problem. Although, I can tell you that Turnitin changed its submission interface and process for students slightly about a week or so ago, so the first thing I would check is if the students are following the process all of the way through. Here is the tutorial I give my students:

Go here for a tutorial on uploading your word processing file to the assignment: https://www.nmjc.edu/userfiles/dhulsey/LTI/SubmitTurnitinLTI.pdf​.

If the students are following the process, I would advise them to download the submission receipt. This shows their instructor they did submit the work and can also show Turnitin support that submissions are missing after a successful submission process.

It does sound like the issue is on the TII side, and I would file a support ticket with TII -- preferably with a screencast to show exactly what goes wrong.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Yes, this is an ongoing issue.  Submissions through Turnitin LTI not appearing in SpeedGrader

Make sure to file a ticket with instructure, and I'd suggest posting in that thread.

Highlighted

Sorry, I wasn't really clear - this isn't that issue. The submission isn't appearing in TII either.

Highlighted

Hey, Emily. I have not seen this problem. Although, I can tell you that Turnitin changed its submission interface and process for students slightly about a week or so ago, so the first thing I would check is if the students are following the process all of the way through. Here is the tutorial I give my students:

Go here for a tutorial on uploading your word processing file to the assignment: https://www.nmjc.edu/userfiles/dhulsey/LTI/SubmitTurnitinLTI.pdf​.

If the students are following the process, I would advise them to download the submission receipt. This shows their instructor they did submit the work and can also show Turnitin support that submissions are missing after a successful submission process.

It does sound like the issue is on the TII side, and I would file a support ticket with TII -- preferably with a screencast to show exactly what goes wrong.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

emihunt@iu.edu​ and dhulsey@nmjc.edu​ - We have seen a large increase in this particular issue (student swears they submitted but there is no submission in either Canvas or the Turnitin dashboard) since the semester began. I filed a ticket, and have no response yet. I wonder if integrations@turnitin.com​ (aka Jessica Wells) can provide any insights on this one...

Highlighted

I don't suppose the students have downloaded the submission receipt? I wish student would do that; documenting the problem would be so much easier if they did.

I wish they would, also. For these new cases, no one has said that the students have their receipts. If our Turnitin admin permissions would give us any insight into student activity on the Turnitin side, that would also help. Sometimes sleuthing LTI issues is like matching up puzzle pieces. I can get THIS far with Canvas page views and activity reports, and then hop over to the third-party tool to see where things went after that...

Highlighted
Community Member

I also have some teachers with this problem. Their students have assured them they turned in the assignments through Canvas via the Turnitin LTI API but only one assignment has shown up. One teacher then had her students try to submit directly through Turnitin, and that is not working either. If that were not enough, many students can't even get the Turnitin part of the assignment to load on their screen:

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 2.31.51 PM.png

We are in our first few months of rollout, and all written assignments must be submitted to Turnitin, so this is a BIG issue and one I want to figure out so it doesn't affect teacher buy-in for Canvas.

Highlighted

Hi, jgosnell@jburroughs.org . Could you post screenshots of the LTI app configuration (with the account password blurred out) and the assignment settings the instructor is using? That might help diagnose the issue.

Also, have you turned off the older API integration yet, or are you running it and the LTI at the same time?

For general trouble shooting, I would advise using Firefox over other browsers, and clearing cookies and cache is always a good practice.

Highlighted

I was not the person who installed Turnitin at the Admin level, but this is what the settings look like. As for the teacher assignment settings, she chose external app, and the address given for Turnitin is https://api.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment . She did not select the box for it to open in a new tab, but I tried that and it did not help the loading issue.

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 11.51.31 AM.png