cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Turnitin & discussions

Jump to solution

Since there is no checkbox to enable Turnitin for discussions like there is for assignments, has anyone found a workaround for this? Or are there any plans for this to be an option in the future?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

One workaround that I've seen is to have an assignment created with TII enabled. The students have to post their original discussion post both in the assignment and on the discussion boards.  Since any post after that is usually a response, there isn't a need for that to go through TII.

You can also instill the fear of death into them if they are caught plagiarizing!  Smiley Happy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN556xz0yTB3iW7AUbnAaIwV5K6s2BCOBbAh2cxueoRwzyCwr6

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

kbickell@bridgeport.edu, I did not see an item in the Canvas Studio​ for this, nor was I able to find it in Canvas Feature Ideas​--so it does not appear to be a feature that is currently under consideration. While I was searching for you, I also found this community space-- Turnitin --but no questions have yet been submitted there, so that might be another starting point for your idea.

Detecting plagiarism in discussion posts is a universal issue for instructors, regardless of the LMS they're using. My rule of thumb is to apply a smell test; if the discussion post "smells" odd to me in any way, I copy it and paste it into the Turnitin "back door" to obtain an originality check. You can read more about that in dhulsey@nmjc.edu​'s superbly comprehensive blog: Canvas and Turnitin  It's in the Instructional Designers group, and if you're not already a member of that group, membership is open and just one click away.

Scroll down to my blog post dated May 6, 2015 for details on how to access the Turnitin back door.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Learner II

One workaround that I've seen is to have an assignment created with TII enabled. The students have to post their original discussion post both in the assignment and on the discussion boards.  Since any post after that is usually a response, there isn't a need for that to go through TII.

You can also instill the fear of death into them if they are caught plagiarizing!  Smiley Happy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN556xz0yTB3iW7AUbnAaIwV5K6s2BCOBbAh2cxueoRwzyCwr6

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

The fear of death is tempting but might not go over too well. And running manually through TII defeats the purpose, since one of the main issues is copying posts from previous courses, not just plagiarizing from outside sources. But thanks for your suggestions!

Highlighted

Aha, kbickell@bridgeport.edu​, that's a good point; manual submission will not detect posts from previous courses inasmuch as they wouldn't be in the database because discussion posts don't get submitted to Turnitin in the first place. Smiley Sad  FWIW, while this has nothing to do with Turnitin per se, experience has taught me the importance of including this clause in my syllabus:

Students retaking courses, and/or submitting work previously submitted for other courses: Any work previously submitted for any course may not be resubmitted in this course. A student who submits work that was previously submitted for any other course will receive a 0 for that assignment.

Actually enforcing that is another matter. I have it there mainly to let students who are repeating my course know that they can't just submit the same stuff from the last attempt and expect to pass.

Highlighted

Running manually also has a major practicality problem for large classes. The great beauty of this tool in assignments is that we get an icon that lets us skip over all of the "good" submissions and very quickly scan the suspect ones with a single click. I don't relish the idea of asking students to submit every discussion assignment twice, in two different places (I'm envisioning a lot of management required to deal with students who submitted in one place but not the other), but it looks like that is the most feasible work-around for now.