cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drushton
Surveyor

Two Courses in One???

Good Afternoon Guys!

So we are having an issue with our German courses.  The content that we purchased (Middlebury German I and II) will not function if the two different contents are put into one Canvas course.  We need to combine the content of both packages in order to meet the Florida standards.  Is there anyway to build a course shell that is actually two shells in one?  Kind of like a course embedded into another course where the two would not communicate with each other other than a link to get from one to another and possibly grades (not essential)?  Thank you so much!

Dan Rushton

2 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @drushton ~

I saw your question a few days ago, and I've thought a bit about it. A couple of years ago, I co-taught a class that actually had three different courses in one. (

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
), but I don't think that'll be a potential answer because you mentioned that the material from the textbook company has to be in two separate courses in order for it to work.

I know that this would be an extra step for you and your Canvas Admin, but I wonder if it would be possible for you to create a second course for German II and enroll the students in that course as well. On their dashboard, students could keep a single course (say, German I) and "unfavorite" German II. As a teacher, this would mean that all graded items and events would need to be listed in German I's assignments. You could then link to the German II content using URLs. The students would have the appearance of a single course...but instructors would need to manually move any items receiving scores from German II to German I.

I'll keep thinking on this. It's unique, and I'm sure you want to get this sorted out as early into the semester as possible.

With what have you experimented so far??

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @drushton ...

As I was looking through older discussion topics, I noticed that we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on September 22nd.  Have you had a chance to review the feedback that you received from  @klundstrum  on September 25th?  If so, did Kristin's reply help to answer your question?  If it did, please go ahead and mark her response as "Correct".  However, if you still have some questions, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you out.  For now, since we've not heard from you and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional question or comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Daniel.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!