cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omahahomeschool
Surveyor

Two due dates for one assignment

Like many American instructors, I have students participate in a Canvas discussion by having them create an initial post early in the week, and then have them reply to their fellow students by the end of the week.

However, I only see one place for a due date. If I use the end-of-the-week date, then students don't get notified to make their initial post. If I use the initial post date, there is no reminder to do their replies, just an incorrect notice that they are past due.

This is such a common assignment that I am sure that Canvas has a method for it, but I cannot find it after extensive research. Any help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @omahahomeschool ...

Having multiple due dates for discussion topics isn't currently an option right now, but it is a pretty popular request from Community members.  In searching the Community, I found the following link for you: Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions.  If you feel that this Feature Idea aligns with something you'd like to see implemented by Instructure, I would encourage you to rate the idea as well as post a comment to that topic letting them know why this would be important to you.  This is just one of the many ways they collect feedback on what people would like to see Instructure develop in Canvas.

I know this might not be the answer you were looking for, but I hope that it has helped to answer your question.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.