cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcoffing
Not applicable

Two or More Late Submissions are Not Indicated as Late in the Gradebook

Jump to solution

I work in Technical Support for a company that utilizes Canvas. One of our clients recently advised that a submission was not being marked as late. Upon review, the initial submission is marked as late, but subsequent attempts remove the Late Submission marker in the Gradebook. Is this something that is a noted issue within Canvas? 

To clarify, an initial submission that is past the due date will mark in the Gradebook with a pink-ish hue in the grade box, and hovering over the grade box for that particular assignment and student will show "Submitted Late". However, any subsequent attempts after the initial submission will remove that Late Submission marker in the gradebook, so that it is not easily indicated that the submission(s) were late. 

Please advise how we can resolve this moving forward.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Braydan,

Has the assignment already been graded before the re-submission?  I've just tried this out and if the assignment is submitted twice and not graded either time, it has the pink background as late.  If it gets graded and then there is a re-submissions, it gets a yellow background like below.  But it still says it's late when you mouse over it.

298896_pastedImage_1.png

Going to Speedgrader and grading it again changes the background from yellow to pink, showing that the submission has been taken care of, and that it was late.  

To me this looks like expected behavior.  If you are seeing something different I suggest using the Help button on the left side of Canvas to Report a Problem so that support can look at the actual example in the course.  Or, if you post a few screenshots that might give us some better ideas to go on.

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jwillin
Community Contributor

Hi Braydan,

I was curious about this and tested it after reading your post. I did not observe the same thing. Subsequent late submissions did not remove the late submission background color.

I tested it with Firefox and Chrome on a PC.

Thank you,

John Willingham

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Braydan,

Has the assignment already been graded before the re-submission?  I've just tried this out and if the assignment is submitted twice and not graded either time, it has the pink background as late.  If it gets graded and then there is a re-submissions, it gets a yellow background like below.  But it still says it's late when you mouse over it.

298896_pastedImage_1.png

Going to Speedgrader and grading it again changes the background from yellow to pink, showing that the submission has been taken care of, and that it was late.  

To me this looks like expected behavior.  If you are seeing something different I suggest using the Help button on the left side of Canvas to Report a Problem so that support can look at the actual example in the course.  Or, if you post a few screenshots that might give us some better ideas to go on.

Rick

View solution in original post