cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
witherwa
Community Member

Two questions about creating a custom role based on the student role

My admin needs to create a custom "tutor" role based on the "student" role for some of our student tutors. Here are my questions:

1. What needs to be selected so that the student can post announcements? It looks like "Discussion-Moderate" needs to be selected? Does "Discussions-Manage" also need to be enabled in the "Discussion-Create" category?
  2. Is there a way to allow the new "tutor" role to view pages that have not yet been published, but not to edit or delete pages?

Here's a link to the page I've been using to guide my understanding: Canvas Course Role Permissions: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf

Thanks for any tips!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @witherwa ...

One thing I might suggest is to use your school's "Test" environment to try out these settings before you apply them to your school's normal "production" environment.  That way, you can try things out first without messing with a "live" environment.  Assuming that you are a Canvas administrator (since you have access to the "Permissions" screen), follow these steps: How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin?.

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.