cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfountain
Learner II

Typical Reporting for Canvas System Usage

I'm interested in hearing what reports your school views on a regular basis to gauge adoption and usage of the Canvas system. 

My primary interest is in employee adoption and use of the system's tools and course engagement by faculty.  I'm also interested in measuring what tools/pages the students are accessing most often.  I've been noodling around in the Admin panel using Analytics and Reports, but it's not very robust or specific enough for metric reporting.

Background:  I am the Canvas admin at our university.  We just implemented Canvas this year; and I'm very new to Canvas Data.  Report building is not my specialty although I have a basic understanding of database structure and storage. Our data is housed internally in our University's data warehouse.  I have Power BI as my report builder, but I don't have the knowledge yet to build reports using this software.  If anybody has Power BI report structures built for Canvas that they would be willing to share, I would be forever grateful!

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2 Replies
jasmiene_doming
Surveyor

Hi! I am also having similar challenges whe it comes to report generation.

Like you, I am also waiting for anyone who knows Power BI to help manipulate the Canvas Data Flat Files.

My specific need to measure the user engagement  is to know which fact & dimension tables must I join in order to

generate a monthly status report for courses under each sub-account level.

SAMPLE NO. 1 

HOW TO

select sub-account + selected date range + course id + faculty who handles the course + total no. of students enrolled + number of content published 

SUB-ACCT

DATE RANGE

COURSE ID

FACULTY

NO. STUDENTS ENROLLED

NO. OF CONTENTS PUBLISHED

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

SAMPLE NO. 2

HOW TO

select sub-account + selected date range + course id + faculty who handles the course + total no. of students enrolled + specific content published + number of unique views + number of unique responses 

SUB-ACCT

DATE RANGE

COURSE ID

FACULTY

NO. STUDENTS ENROLLED

SPECIFIC CONTENTS PUBLISHED (Heading)

NO OF UNIQUE VIEWS

NO. OF UNIQUE RESPONSES

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

Announcement 1

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

Quiz 1

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

Discussion 1

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

Discussion 2

CAS

Sept.2-Sept. 30, 2019

ADV 2

Juana Dela Cruz

Discussion 3

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jfountain  and  @jasmiene_doming ,

I have been doing a little sleuthing and wanted to pull together some useful threads that I have found which have some examples and might help get you both started.

I hope that helps you both out!

Stuart