cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Typing a fraction in Math Quill

Jump to solution

I wanted to make a quiz using "new quizzes."  When I went to type a fraction in new quizzes, I didn't see an option in Math quill.  Can someone let me know how to make a fraction in math quill?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Lisa,

I'm new to Math Quill, but it appears to make a fraction you just type number/number.  Like 1/2.  when I did this it displayed as 1 over 2 instead of a slash, which is probably actually preferred.  There was no button I needed to click first, just number/number.  

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Lisa,

I'm new to Math Quill, but it appears to make a fraction you just type number/number.  Like 1/2.  when I did this it displayed as 1 over 2 instead of a slash, which is probably actually preferred.  There was no button I needed to click first, just number/number.  

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yes!  I was confused when I went to input in the equation editor....since it was different.  I keep looking for the fraction tool. 

It came to me last night...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

lnussdorfer@napavalley.edu

rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu has given the simple answer. Since you're asking about a fraction from the template, this is probably the answer you're looking for.

At some point, you may need advanced capability and something that is not obtainable through the keyboard or from the palette. I thought I would extend his answer.

The last time I checked, there was no equivalent of "Switch View to Advanced" in the new equation editor. Instead you created it directly within the question itself using LaTeX, wrapped in \( and \)

What is the numerator of \( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{3} \) ?

Something that is even more powerful is the ability to incorporate math equations with formula questions, which is also something that was missing from the legacy quizzes.

Evaluate the expression \( \frac{-`b` + \sqrt{`b`^2-4(`a`)(`c`)}}{2(`a`)} \)

If you need a large fraction,  you can use \displaystyle to make the entire expression full size or \dfrac instead of \frac to make a single fraction large

Evaluate the expression \( \displaystyle\frac{-`b`+\sqrt{`b`^2-4(`a`)(`c`)}}{2(`a`)} \)

Highlighted

Thanks for the follow up James; this helps me too.  I've been using LaTeX more in the Classic Quizzes to help faculty build exams and wondered why it didn't seem like the option is there in New Quizzes with quill.  I'm glad to see it's still an option and an improved one at that.

Rick

Highlighted

Thank you!  Not sure I want to learn LaTex Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Labels