cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Un-publish an assignment with multiple sections.

Jump to solution

I have a course, which I taught last school year and am teaching again, the admin added a section for this year. I cannot unpublish assignments. The message states that I cannot unpublish assignments since there are submissions. I changed the start date, and there was not change. Should this course be concluded and a new one started? Is there another way to accomplish this? Thanks in advanced, Julio 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jmendez@projectsyncere.org Welcome to the Canvas Community!  This is odd, and I'm just having to take a wild guess at what the workflow at your organization is.  It sounds like this has happened:

-You are literally using the exact same course site that you were from last year;

-Your administrator added a section to the existing course and enrolled people in that section

-You are now trying to adjust assignments in that class, perhaps (I'm guessing) assigning them only to that (new) section.

In this case; you are correct in your assumption that the older course should have been concluded and a new one created.  I just have to say this is really not the best way to do things, by adding sections to an existing course for the very reason that you are running into.

Most institutions conclude a course and create a brand new, blank course site for the next term....even for classes already taught.  This way, faculty can then import material from the previous course site into the new one, following this guide:  How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

I might add that you or your organization's administrator may want to contact your CSM (Customer Success Manager) for a look at your workflow.  I also recommend his/her joining this group in the Community: Canvas Admins‌ for some best practices.

I hope this helps, Julio!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jmendez@projectsyncere.org Welcome to the Canvas Community!  This is odd, and I'm just having to take a wild guess at what the workflow at your organization is.  It sounds like this has happened:

-You are literally using the exact same course site that you were from last year;

-Your administrator added a section to the existing course and enrolled people in that section

-You are now trying to adjust assignments in that class, perhaps (I'm guessing) assigning them only to that (new) section.

In this case; you are correct in your assumption that the older course should have been concluded and a new one created.  I just have to say this is really not the best way to do things, by adding sections to an existing course for the very reason that you are running into.

Most institutions conclude a course and create a brand new, blank course site for the next term....even for classes already taught.  This way, faculty can then import material from the previous course site into the new one, following this guide:  How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

I might add that you or your organization's administrator may want to contact your CSM (Customer Success Manager) for a look at your workflow.  I also recommend his/her joining this group in the Community: Canvas Admins‌ for some best practices.

I hope this helps, Julio!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You pretty much hit it on the head. I will pass the info along and flow

with what happens.

Thank you,

Julio

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Glad to help, Julio!

Top Kudoed Authors