cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Unable to view results from ungraded survey

Jump to solution

I have developed a survey that includes a matching question to rank preferences for topics for remainder of class, and two essay response questions for more information.  I am entirely unable to see any student results.  I've read the instructions and the prior questions, but to no avail.  I see an option to "Show student survey results" which would let me select students - but I can follow those links and only have the option to see the log - no responses, just what questions they answered.  I also have the "Survey Statistics" option. Given the type of questions, there is No information shown, and the report generates no information at all.  I'm stumped. I've used two browsers - Firefox and Safari. 

The options that are described in the guide do not appear to be fully available, at least to me.  I've submitted a ticket also - but perhaps someone else knows what to do???

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi groom@uw.edu

I'm not sure if this would cause the problem you're experiencing, but do you use sections in this course? If a course has sections, it's possible to enrol a teacher in one section and limit the submissions they can see to just those from students in that section. So it could be that you are a teacher in one section in your course and your students are enrolled in a different section, which would mean that you can't see the submissions.

If you haven't tried these already then I suggest a few tests: Firstly, change to student view and submit the survey as the test student then check if you can see that submission when logged in as the teacher. Secondly, create a dummy survey in this course (and perhaps in another course) to test whether the problem is specific to your first survey/course or a more general issue.

I'm interested to know what's causing the problem so please let us know if you get a response to your support ticket.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi groom@uw.edu

I'm not sure if this would cause the problem you're experiencing, but do you use sections in this course? If a course has sections, it's possible to enrol a teacher in one section and limit the submissions they can see to just those from students in that section. So it could be that you are a teacher in one section in your course and your students are enrolled in a different section, which would mean that you can't see the submissions.

If you haven't tried these already then I suggest a few tests: Firstly, change to student view and submit the survey as the test student then check if you can see that submission when logged in as the teacher. Secondly, create a dummy survey in this course (and perhaps in another course) to test whether the problem is specific to your first survey/course or a more general issue.

I'm interested to know what's causing the problem so please let us know if you get a response to your support ticket.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for these thoughts.  I don't have sections.

I've figured out the issues - some good and bad news.  I happened to have all the first responders fail to submit their responses - so it was on their end. So the good news is that I CAN view the results.

However, the way to get the survey results is very clumsy - this is the bad news.

To get the results, I need to go to the survey actions (the wheel on the right side) and select "Show Student Survey Results".  Then I see a list of the students names who have completed the survey. I can then select them ONE by ONE and view their results. UGH!  I set up a spreadsheet to record their answers so I can make sense of it all.Thank goodness I only have 38 people enrolled!  But It is disappointing that there is no mechanism to do this within canvas.

I hope this will be something that will be addressed in future updates - I imagine many of us would like to be able to download the results of a survey!

Thanks for the support folks!

Highlighted

Glad to hear that you worked out the cause of the problem. There is actually a way to get their responses into a spreadsheet without having to view the submissions one by one. Open the survey and click the statistics link on the right of the screen. When the statistics page opens, click the Student Analysis button at the top - this should allow you to download a spreadsheet. The contents of the spreadsheet will look a little messy and will include a few columns that are totally irrelevant to you, but it will hopefully still give you what you're looking for.

Highlighted

When the course concludes, the statistics option is no longer available.  Any idea how to view the results of an ungraded survey once the course is concluded?  A faculty member here wants to review results from her ungraded survey in last fall's class.  Any help would be appreciated!

Highlighted

Ok, I was made aware of a work around that allows the teacher to view the quiz summary results and to create the student analysis report after the course is concluded.  Simply manipulate the assignment URL by adding "/statistics" to the end.  This allows the teacher access to the functionality of the option that is hidden when the course concludes.  Thanks to Teresa Walter for sharing her knowledge!

I  hope others have success with this!

Highlighted

Hi cjacobs@umc.edu

That's a useful workaround, accessing data once a course has been concluded has been an ongoing problem for us. When you conclude a course (or "End" as it has now been rebranded) you also lose access to assignment submissions and annotations/feedback added to them by the teacher. We actually advise our users not to conclude a course unless they are certain that they won't need access to submissions, statistics etc at any point in the future. If they don't want to lose access to those things, rather than concluding we advise setting Start and End dates in the course settings and specifying that students can't view the course outside of those dates.

There have been several feature ideas submitted suggesting that all of these things should still be available after concluding. I'm not sure if Instructure plan to act on these suggestions and I can't see any ideas on the topic that are currently open for voting.

Highlighted

Thanks s.j.watts@bham.ac.uk​!  I will take a look at the end date options and see if that would benefit our institution.

Highlighted

I was tying to figure out how to download data from an ungraded survey and this discussion thread was SUPER helpful. Thanks!

Highlighted

Thanks. I just used this method and I was able to see the results of the essay questions.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels