cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crodriguez125
Community Member

Unauthorized Popup

Jump to solution

How do I get rid of a popup that says "Unauthorized It appears that you don't have permission to access this page. Please make sure you're authorized to view this content. If you think you should be able to view this page, please use the "Help" link to notify support of the problem," on my Canvas?  I am authorized to use my canvas, not sure why this pops up. I log in and I am able to use my canvas but this keeps popping up.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @crodriguez125  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your message.  The "unauthorized" message you are seeing doesn't mean that you're not authorized to use Canvas.  Typically, that means you've clicked on a link in your course but your instructor has not "published" the page or file yet so that it's available for you and your classmates to view.  I would recommend reaching out to your instructor to see if he/she can get this item published for you.  You can contact your instructor following the directions outlined in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10554-4212710328   I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

cblanos
Community Member

@chofer ‌ I just received an email from a student who receives the "Unauthorized Message" as soon as she logs into Canvas (on her dashboard). She says, "The message pops up as soon as I open canvas (not in any specific course), but I click on the screen behind the message and it disappears. But comes out again every time I open canvas." 

Any suggestions on why this is happening or how I should assist her?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @crodriguez125  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your message.  The "unauthorized" message you are seeing doesn't mean that you're not authorized to use Canvas.  Typically, that means you've clicked on a link in your course but your instructor has not "published" the page or file yet so that it's available for you and your classmates to view.  I would recommend reaching out to your instructor to see if he/she can get this item published for you.  You can contact your instructor following the directions outlined in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10554-4212710328   I hope this helps.

cblanos
Community Member

@chofer ‌ I just received an email from a student who receives the "Unauthorized Message" as soon as she logs into Canvas (on her dashboard). She says, "The message pops up as soon as I open canvas (not in any specific course), but I click on the screen behind the message and it disappears. But comes out again every time I open canvas." 

Any suggestions on why this is happening or how I should assist her?

0 Kudos
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cblanos ...

My apologies for the delay in responding to your question.  This is a bit hard to diagnose here in the Canvas Community because the vast majority of Community users wouldn't have access to your school's Canvas environment or your the PC that your student was using at the time.  This is all speculation on my part, but one thought was if the student had some sort of bookmark saved on her web browser that was pointing to a specific page in a course (and not your school's Canvas Dashboard)...and the page no longer exists or was in an "unpublished" state, then I could see this producing some kind of "unauthorized" message.  But, like I said, since I cannot see this from my end, it's hard to know.  In cases like this, I would recommend that the student reach out to the Canvas Help Desk staff so that they can help troubleshoot.  Here is a Guide that directs students on how to get help: How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

I hope this helps, Christine.

gareth1
Community Member

We also have this issue after login, but the user is being forwarded to a url to download/view a file. Why are they not just redirected to the dashboard at login?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gareth1 ...

This is probably going to be a bit hard to troubleshoot here in the Community because most of us do not have access to your school's Canvas environment.  I still stand by my posting from January 4, 2019 (above) as a possible reason that might apply for your situation.  If that isn't the case, I would suggest that you reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or someone at your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see if they can help investigate this a bit more with you.  You might also try contacting the folks at Instructure's Help Desk to see if they have any feedback/suggestions for you.  How to contact Canvas Support

I hope this helps, Gareth.  Good luck to you!

jam99
Surveyor

Note to Instructors:  This seems to be a file permission problem.  In my case, I was able to reproduce it in "Student View".  I got around the "unauthorized" problem by uploading the file into a folder I created in the files directory.