Undo or fix import/overwrite quiz?

Jump to solution
ts99
Community Explorer

I imported a quiz from a previous class. After importing, I couldn't find it. Turns out that it had the same name as an existing quiz (Exam 2) and it just overwrote it. 

Is there a way to undo?

The worst thing is that now my existing Exam 2 is just gone. All my work on that down the drain unless there's a fix.

Ideas?

btw, can't believe there's not a check for this or an undo or that it wouldn't have the duplicate one be Exam 2(1) or something like every other program in existence. This is such an elementary thing.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @ts99 ...

Yes, there is a way to retrieve your original version of your quiz...if you do it in enough time.  It actually involves logging in to your school's "test" or "beta" environment.  These two environments are separate from your school's normal "production" Canvas environment (the environment you are most likely used to logging in on a day-to-day basis).  Here are a couple Guides that tell you how to get to either the "test" or "beta" environment ... as well as when these two environments are "refreshed" with data from the "production" environment:

I always make sure to let people know that if they log into either the "test" or "beta" environment, be sure you log out completely of whichever environment you are in before returning to your normal "production" Canvas environment.  How do I log out of Canvas as an instructor?

If you do find an original copy of your quiz in either "test" or "beta", you should be able to export the quiz from those environments and then import it back into your "production" environment.

If your original quiz isn't available within your "test" or "beta" environment, you may need to reach out to Canvas Support to see if there is anything they can do on their end to recover the quiz for you.  How do I contact Canvas Support?

I hope these resources will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post