cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Unenrolling Users Added by SIS Import

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: What is the best way for admin to unenroll students or teachers added by SIS import?

Previously, I have individually unenrolled some students or teachers via the People section of a particular course. With the latest update, the "Remove from Course" option in People is gone. (See "SIS Enrollments and Remove from Course Option" on https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4521#jive_content_id__Fixed_Bugs. Now, I'm wondering what is the best way to remove an individual student from the course. I see two options:

1. Go to Course--Settings--Sections--Section--*click on red x by individual that I want removed*

2. Go to User Account--*click on X by course I want to unenroll them from*

Does that sound about right? Is one better than the other in terms of data? These would be cases of complete unenrollment, delete, or drop. I do not want to "conclude" them.

I do realize that running an unenroll SIS process may be the best way overall, but we're still ensuring that process and will not be completely viable until next semester or school year. Plus I want a back up.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, parde​...

It looks like the ability to remove users from the "People" tab has returned.  I just spot-checked a few of our Fall courses in our Canvas instance, and I was able to see the "Remove From Course" option.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi parde​...

From conversations I've seen today among Canvas Coaches and in the Release Notes that you have linked to, those are the two methods that have been mentioned.  Just this evening, erinhallmark​ posted some additional updates about this that you might want to take a look at here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4521#comment-19280

Also, I wanted to let you know I'm going to shorten your subject line of this question just a bit and add a few more keywords so that it's easier for people to search for should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't reflect the question you are asking, let me know.  We can work to make it right.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, parde​...

It looks like the ability to remove users from the "People" tab has returned.  I just spot-checked a few of our Fall courses in our Canvas instance, and I was able to see the "Remove From Course" option.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

Community Team
Community Team

The ability to remove a user from a course that was enrolled by an SIS has been restored.

Please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

SIS Enrollments and Remove from Course Option

On the People page, admins can remove users from a course who have SIS-created enrollments.

Community Member

Thank you chofer@morainepark.edu and rcarney@instructure.com​ for your quick responses. And to the Canvas team for bringing back a very useful feature for admins, or at least this one.