Unlocking Modules: getting message that I shouldn't

Jump to solution
erica_wagner
Community Participant

Hi, I have my course set up with modules that are broken down by class unit. I unlock each module when it is time for the students to start that unit. Each module contains links to pages for each chapter within that unit. A chapter page contain all the links to their assignments, lecture videos, handouts etc. for that chapter.

For some reason, when I unlock a course module I get this message.

"You have changed the progression requirements for an active course. There may be students who have already progressed to this module and to others that depend on it.

Would you like to let students continue in the course or do you want to re-lock these modules until the new requirements are completed?"

I don't understand, as I most certainly have not changed the progression requirements when I unlock a new module. The unit 4 module comes after the unit 3 module etc., and all the information linked on the pages has been laid down in order since I was creating the course on canvas. It appears that my students can still see and access everything I unlocked, so it is more an annoyance, but why am I getting this message?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Erica,

All of your courses that I have previewed have modules that are organized around type of content rather than unit or chronology.  If you would like for me to look at a specific course, please DM me the course url.

It sounds like what you may be running up against is modules that have had prerequisites set as some point.  If your goal is to simply open the module to all students at a given date/time have you considered using the Locked Until... option in the module settings?  Or, could you leave them unpublished until you want them accessible and then publish the entire module?

View solution in original post