cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trinaadams
Surveyor

Unpublish Quiz Not Available w/ Student Data

I find it concerning that a quiz with student data is able to be deleted. However, a quiz with student data is not able to be unpublished. Wouldn't it be a safe option to unpublish a quiz as opposed to deleting it?

Example: When a quiz was initially imported, the settings were believe to be able to pull 10 questions from a 30 question bank. Unfortunately, something was missed and students were completing all 30 questions.. A handful of users completed the quiz before the issue was noticed. I would like to unpublish the wrong quiz and publish the correct one. Even at that, I am not sure how the Grades calculation and view would be impacted from the student side.

Open to suggestions to deactivate the broken quiz and insert the corrected quiz.

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @trinaadams ...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here in the Canvas Community unanswered for over two months.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have an answer for you, either.  You may have stumped the Community members with your question.  I wanted to check in to see if you've been able to come up with any solutions on your end since you first posted this question on September 25th.  If so, would you be willing to share those back here in this thread?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know by posting a message below.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've been able to find an answer for you but because we haven't seen much activity in this thread for over two months.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below, however.  I hope that's alright with you, Trina.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Unfortunately, I was not able to determine how to unpublish the quiz with the settings error and had to take calculated steps toward correcting the issue. 

1. Exported the grades for those that completed the quiz with the wrong settings. Saved to course files.
  2. Calculated the percent earned by each participant.
  3. Communicated with those students the details of the error and the plan for a solution.
  4. Created the new quiz with the proper settings.
  5. Manually entered the percent grade earned by those which completed the first quiz which contained the improper settings.
  6. Took a deep breath. Deleted the first quiz.