cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Unsupported question types in mobile apps

Jump to solution

My question is about what happens when a student takes a quiz containing question types not supported by the mobile app.  For example, matching questions don't work in the Android app (though they do in iOS), so a quiz containing a matching question shouldn't be taken in the Android app.  The documentation for both apps states:

"Any quizzes that do not contain supported question types will be redirected to the web version of Canvas."

It appears that if a quiz contains any supported question types, the student will not be redirected to use a web browser.  That is the experience of one student anyway, who included a screen shot of the situation.  Shouldn't the quiz re-direct to a browser if there are any non-supported question types, even if there are some supported questions?

In her case, most questions appeared correctly, but the matching questions appeared with no answers.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

The Android and iOS documentation have been updated to reflect support for Matching and clear up language about what happens when an unsupported question is part of a quiz. 

How do I take a quiz in the Canvas app on my iOS device? 

How do I take a quiz in the Canvas app on my Android device? 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Nancy_Webb_CCSF ‌: Thanks for reaching out. 

Even though matching isn't officially mentioned in the Android guides they seem to work for me? 

233616_Screenshot_20170511-211220.png

Since it works for me, I am not redirected to the browser. In my testing, every time there is at least one unsupported questions type (typically Formula and Multiple Fill in the Blank), I am redirected to the web. If not, I can take the exam natively. 

Let me do some research to find out more about this. Stay tuned...

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

After some testing of my own (thanks  @rseilham  for looping me in!), I had similar results. I created a quiz with a variety of questions, and then with only matching. In all cases, since I tested with Android and iOS devices, when I had an unsupported question in my quiz, I was rerouted to the mobile web. When I excluded the unsupported question types but still had matching, I was able to take the quiz natively.

By chance, do you know if the student's device and Canvas app were up to date??

Thanks  @rseilham ‌ and  @klundstrum  for sharing your experiences.  This is the screenshot the student sent, and it doesn't look like yours Ryan.  Maybe she does need an update, Kristin.  Is it possible her signal was low and the question was just taking time to load?

233648_pastedImage_3.png

@Nancy_Webb_CCSF ‌: The cause of this is definitely a mystery. It could also be an app caching issue. Make sure the student goes back to the courses screen then re-enters the course. This will refresh all new content. If you want to force the issue on iOS, you can tap with 4 fingers, three times on the course home screen. This is a little tricky to do, but once it works you will see a message that says Cache cleared. 

233667_IMG_2194.PNG

I am still working with Instructure to clear up the documentation - which should show matching as a supported type on Android. 

In the meantime, I would consider sharing this screenshot and quiz with your support staff. They can put in a ticket to Canvas support. 

Also, if students run into an issue, they can also report the problem directly in the app through Profile (top left on course list screen) > Help > Report a problem. What's good about the student reporting the issue is that the device information, app version, etc are sent to Canvas support so they have a full view of the issue. 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

The Android and iOS documentation have been updated to reflect support for Matching and clear up language about what happens when an unsupported question is part of a quiz. 

How do I take a quiz in the Canvas app on my iOS device? 

How do I take a quiz in the Canvas app on my Android device? 

View solution in original post

Thanks  @rseilham ‌, great that the correct information is now in the guides. I sure appreciate your suggestions to the Canvas Doc team.

Thank you for finding this so we can fix it for everyone!