cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sabrams
Surveyor

Uploading Assignments in Canvas

This is more of a frustration than a question...so many of my students have difficulty uploading their papers that require a pdf format to answer questions and then upload in Canvas...the papers upload blank...why pdf? why not word? or both? What about written instructions they can quickly find? For some of my students they have never used Canvas and find it hard to maneuver...even with my directions My students are so  frustrated...every session...HELP!!!

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sabrams ...

I am sorry to read that your students are having difficulties with assignments and navigating around the Canvas environment.  The first thing that came to mind was...are your students using either the Edge or Internet Explorer browsers when navigating around Canvas?  If so, they really should be using either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.  Even though the browser requirements (Which browsers does Canvas support?‌) document says that Edge and IE are supported, it's generally known here in the Community that Chrome and Firefox will provide a much better browsing experience for you and your students.  There are some things (such as submitting assignments to the instructor) that just do not work very well when using Edge or IE, so I would encourage you and your students to use Chrome or Firefox instead.

Re: the PDF files.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be uploading properly and appearing as blank.  This shouldn't be happening.  I would be curious to know if the issue persists after trying to submit the work using Chrome or Firefox.  Canvas does not *require* that documents are submitted as PDFs.  It's certainly an option, but there's nothing I can think of that says PDFs absolutely have to be the chosen file type.  Microsoft Word documents are also allowed.  It's very common to see file types with *.pdf, *.doc, *.docx submitted for grading.  Of course, it's also possible for you to limit the kinds of files that can be submitted for a given assignment.  For example, if you *only* wanted students to submit files with the extension *.docx, you could do that.  Check out this Guide for more information: How do I create an online assignment? 

Finally, let's see if we can address your question about students who have never used Canvas.  When your students go to the "Help" menu in Canvas and click on "Search the Canvas Guides", they will be taken to a page with a number of different options.  If they click on the red "CANVAS GUIDES" link, they will then have the option to view all the written "STUDENT" Guides.  There are a lot of them there, and that can be quite overwhelming...especially for someone who is new to Canvas.  However, there are also video Guides available (instead of clicking on the red "CANVAS GUIDES" button, click on the red "VIDEO GUIDE" button).  But, I think your students would actually benefit from the following...  Please check out this link: Canvas Student Tour.  This is  video tutorial that takes about 35 minutes to go through, and it will help your students learn all the basics of Canvas.  Once they go through this tutorial, then then can come back to the written Guides to find any specific information they are looking for.  Everything is searchable here in the Canvas Community...just by using the search function at the top right corner of the screen.  (See How do I search and filter content in the Canvas Community? and How do I search the Canvas Guides? for more information.)

I hope this information will be of help to you, Sandy.  Please let the Community know if you have any questions about the above information.  Thanks!

wdeana4
Community Member

A essay is approached after choosing a thesis or topic sentence. I usually have a hard time using descriptive words in the context of the essay. The strengths that I have are choosing topics that are fun to read about. The different writing Technics and finding articles to support the view of the writer.  If it is a interesting topic then you will find plenty of information on line, in the library or at bookstores. Finding at least 3 topics to support your five paragraph essay.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @sabrams ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community.  I wanted to check in with you again, because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 3, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from me and  @wdeana4 ?  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to one of our responses.  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well by posting a message below letting us know how we might be able to help.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because we have not heard back from you and we hope that you've been able to find the answers you were looking for.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Sandy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanx Chris for thinking of me...I just want you and the team to know how very much I appreciate all of you...your quick reply and ‘right on’ answers really help me so much...I always think of the ‘question & discussion’ pages whenever I need assistance because I know you all are there for me...thanx again for all the team does...Sandy

Thanx Kelley to you and the team for always being so helpful...appreciate all of you!