cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ek2864
Community Member

Uploading a HTML file to Files

How do you upload a HTML website to Files without losing the CSS style?

I selected a webpage and selected "Save as..." and then saved type as "Webpage, Complete" but when I upload the HTML file to Canvas I end up losing the style and just end up with the text which is very difficult to look at. Is there another way to do this?

Please help. Thank you.

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ek2864  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question here.  From what I can gather from your question, it sounds like you are using Internet Explorer to choose "File" >> "Save as" to save a particular website you are viewing by choosing the "Webpage, Complete" option from the drop-down menu in the "Save as" dialog box.  (This may or may not be a Canvas website.)  Then, you are trying to upload the file(s) saved to your "Files" area of a Canvas course.  I would not recommend this...for a couple reasons.

• The website you're saving probably has a lot more going on "behind the scenes" as to how it was designed...and so saving it as one or more files isn't going to work real well.
  • If you try and save the website, you are basically capturing the website "at that very moment".  So, if the website were to change, you wouldn't know about it if you tried to upload the saved files to your course "Files".

I'm sure there are other reasons...but these are the two that jumped out to me first.

What I would recommend, instead, is to create a page in your course that contains a link to this website (and any other websites that you'd want your students to go to).  This could be a sort of "notable websites" (or whatever you wanted to call the page) where you house relevant links to course-related websites.  Then, students just click on the link you've added to the page, and they can visit it at any time...much simpler than trying to save a website with multiple files and expecting it to be viewable within your course "Files".

I hope this information is helpful to you, Elizabeth.  Let us know if you have additional questions about this.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ek2864 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie