Upper and Lower Division Class split grading

Jump to solution
mattgraf
Community Explorer

Hello all,

in preparation for the upcoming semester I have a professor who in the past before using Canvas had a class that was split between upper and lower division with different assignment requirements.  

The upper division students have an additional assignment not required of the lower division students. 

I have the classes cross listed so that the content within the course is available in one place.

Is there a way within assignments to set two different group weights?  Or is there a way to mirror the two sections so that the gradebook would be different for the two divisions? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @mattgraf 

What can easily be done, is to assign graded content to just one of the two sections - in your example, the "Upper Division". Assignments assigned to just one section only impact the grade calculations for that section. No need at all for a "mirrored" gradebook. The Canvas gradebook can handle this just fine.

See: How do I assign an assignment to a course section?

Per that guide (and my own experience)..........

• When creating or editing an assignment, you can assign an assignment to a specific course section.
  • Only the section(s) specified in the assignment details can view the assignment.
  • When using differentiated assignments with the Gradebook, the assignment appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who have not been included in the assignment. Grades cannot be assigned for students who have not been included in the assignment, and assignments that are not assigned to a student are not factored into overall grades.

This works the same for all graded activities in Canvas - assignments, quizzes and graded discussions.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes