cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Use a separate Page for each Chapter?

Hi!

I checked through past questions but did not see an answer to my question. I know that most professors use Modules rather than Pages for each Chapter. But, as a newbie, it seems easier for me personally to follow the chapter using Pages. In Psych 101, each Chapter has anywhere from two to five separate subtopics. I have separate videos, study guides, readings, and power points for each sub-topic. For me, it's easier to see the subtopic. I'm trying to think through whether I should change it. Can I get advice? Should I change to Modules, and if so, why?

Here is what I know so far:

The advantages and disadvantages of using a Module for each Chapter:

Advantage: Using a Module is better because I can make sure students do tasks in order.

Advantage: I would be consistent with other professors, so it would be easier for students to move around.

Disadvantage: I'm not sure others would agree, but when I took an  OL class, I found it confusing to be assigned Modules for each section. This is because at the end of each Module, you have the option of moving into the next Module using the "next" arrow. But, I lost track of which Module I was in.

The advantages and disadvantages of using a Page for each chapter:

Advantage: I can easily see what is going on - I can make separate sections for each subtopic.

Advantage: I can add comments (advice, background info, etc.) between sections, power points, videos, etc.

Advantage: I can use "Headings" to show organization.

Disadvantage: My colleague, who is an expert with OL teaching, says using Pages will clutter up my list of Pages when I export my class to the next semester (import?). It would clutter the page if I need to change something from the previous semester

It's not too late to change it for next semester, but I feel swamped and would rather not unless I'll be very sorry.

Thanks!

Julie

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @Julie1234567200 ...

Full disclosure...I am not an instructor.  I do not teach courses in Canvas.  I am a Canvas administrator for our technical college's Canvas environment.

That being said, I would encourage you to take advantage of Modules...for a few of the reasons you've already outlined...the main one is organization.  That's what Modules was really designed for...to organize all parts of your course (Pages, Discussions, Quizzes, Assignments, etc.) in a way that you want your students to complete the work...from one module to the next...or in your case, from one chapter to the next.

Within a module (which you might call "Chapter 1", for example), you can certainly organize all your content and group things together.  For example, at the start of your module, you might create a header (How do I add a text header as a module item?) called "Videos", for example.  Then, underneath each of these headers, you can put as much content as you want related to that particular sub-topic.  This could be in the form of content pages, discussion topics, etc.  Then, you would create another header with a different name such as "Study Guides".  Rinse and repeat for the content that belongs under this sub-topic.  The layout will kinda look like the screenshot at the bottom of this Guide, How do I use the Modules Index Page?, under the heading "View Blueprint Course" (where "Assignment Details" is the header in that example).  You can even indent any content you want to put under each header.

Once you are finished making that module, create more modules, each with their own Chapter, in the same way.  You can even mirror the same kind of layout from module to module (chapter to chapter) so that it is easy for your students to follow as they progress through your course.

Many people that use Modules choose to hide their "Pages" index page from students.  How do I manage Course Navigation links?  If you choose only to use Pages and direct your students there, you're going to have to come up with a naming convention for all of your pages, and they may not appear in the order that you want...since everything is typically alphabetized on that page.

I'm not sure if any of this will be helpful to you, Julie, but I hope it gives you some things to consider as you are building out your content and getting it ready for your students.  Please let Community members know if you have any additional questions about this...thanks!!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Thank you, Chofer, I very much appreciate the reply and information!

Labels