Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

User Storage Quota Exceeded Error

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

Tried to submit a video file from my computer (ZOOM video) and when I tried uploading it I received a "User Storage Quota Exceeded" error. I have tried a couple different times now and my video is only 2 minutes long. Any ideas on what this means/ how to fix it? Please help!

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

clb295@georgetown.edu,

It is possible that you have uploaded more files than allowed by the quota. This can happen over time when you upload a files for discussions or assignments, send attachments through Canvas messages, or use media comments or video. There are other ways to use up the quota. It is unlikely that the Canvas Administrator will modify the limit because a student has gone over the limit (limits cannot be set for individual students, they must be done on an account-wide basis).

Instead, it probably falls to the student to delete some of the files. Some cannot be deleted because they were submitted as part of an assignment, but those don't count against the quota limit. However, if you upload it to Canvas first and then use it, it does.

Here's a page from the Canvas Student Guide that explains how to delete files or folders: How do I delete a file or folder as a student?  

Go to the Account navigation link and then click on Files. Then look for files that take up a lot of space. You will not be able to delete things in the "Submissions" folder, but definitely check out "conversation attachments" and "unfiled."

314202_pastedImage_2.png

Delete the files that are no longer necessary. Sometimes all it takes is one or two files to get below quota depending on how far over your quota you are.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Cassidy,

Storage quotas of all kinds are setup and controlled by your Canvas Administrator. I would reach out to them to get some assistance. Below is a link to some documentation about storage quotas and how to adjust them as an administrator.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12659-4214481360

Highlighted
Navigator

bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu,

In case you weren't aware, when you paste a URL using Shift+Ctrl+V instead of just Ctrl+V then the Community software does the old behavior of looking up the title and making it the link text. Ctrl+V just does a bare URL.

Highlighted
Navigator

clb295@georgetown.edu,

It is possible that you have uploaded more files than allowed by the quota. This can happen over time when you upload a files for discussions or assignments, send attachments through Canvas messages, or use media comments or video. There are other ways to use up the quota. It is unlikely that the Canvas Administrator will modify the limit because a student has gone over the limit (limits cannot be set for individual students, they must be done on an account-wide basis).

Instead, it probably falls to the student to delete some of the files. Some cannot be deleted because they were submitted as part of an assignment, but those don't count against the quota limit. However, if you upload it to Canvas first and then use it, it does.

Here's a page from the Canvas Student Guide that explains how to delete files or folders: How do I delete a file or folder as a student?  

Go to the Account navigation link and then click on Files. Then look for files that take up a lot of space. You will not be able to delete things in the "Submissions" folder, but definitely check out "conversation attachments" and "unfiled."

314202_pastedImage_2.png

Delete the files that are no longer necessary. Sometimes all it takes is one or two files to get below quota depending on how far over your quota you are.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Labels