cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Users not able to sign in with correct info

We have users signing in using LDAP and for some reason some users are able to sign in and some aren't. When they reset Chrome to its default settings it ends up letting them sign in. What would Canvas be caching that would cause this error? Or is this a cookie that is created and is causing this issue? 

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi trenton.tyler@duneland.k12.in.us,

That is an interesting one, a few things that come to mind immediately are:

1. Is your SSL certificate valid for your LDAP server (and importantly, is SSL in use)
  2. How are the users provisioned (is there any difference, i.e. some were provisioned manually into Canvas, while others were provisioned with the API, possibly at a point in time).
  3. Are there any errors on the Chrome developer console when their login fails (such as a resource failing to load)
  4. When you say they reset chrome to their default settings, just to clarify you mean a full Chrome reset (i.e. not just a clearing of temporary internet files)? The reason I ask is plugins like ad-blockers can (sometimes, if poorly configured) cause issues with loading certain URLs, sometimes by regular expressions. (Unlikely in this case, but doesn't hurt to check).
  5. On your LDAP server logs, are there any telltale signs of something happening when a user tries to log in that fails, this could tell you when in the process it is failing (i.e. the handshake works, but authentication does not). If nothing shows in the logs, then that can be telling too.

Look forward to your thoughts on the above, hope that it helps us narrow this down to a solution. I have also shared this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=44aebe9f-37db-4ffd-b6a4-dfae1761945...‌ group, as someone in there may have some great thoughts or ideas to throw in also.

Cheers,

Stuart

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

trenton.tyler@duneland.k12.in.us,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Hi Ryan,

In regards to #2 above, "2. How are the users provisioned (is there any difference, i.e. some were provisioned manually into Canvas, while others were provisioned with the API, possibly at a point in time)."  

Is there a way in Canvas to tell how users were provisioned among manual, API, or SIS import? 

Tammy

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels