cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Using Articulate Rise exports in Canvas

I've been trying to hunt down answers to this, but haven't been able to find a clear answer, so I want to see if I can get some help. We currently use Articulate 360 to author content and we want to host it in Canvas. As of right now, the only way I can figure out how to do that is by uploading the content to SCORM Cloud and using the content as an assignment using the External Tool functionality. That's not an ideal way for us to present the content, but I can't find a clear way to do it otherwise. I'm hoping someone can help us figure it out.

Ideally, we want to be able to display the Articulate course on a Page and have it work with either SCORM or the TinCan API. Is that possible? We also have form entries within the Articulate courses, and we're trying to figure out how to make those entries save and be persistent for users. Has anyone else tried to do this? Any strategies for using Articulate and Canvas together would be really helpful.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jeffdesurra@fuller.edu, I'm not familiar with this, but I'm going to share this with the Instructional Designers‌ and Canvas Developers‌ in hopes that someone from one of those groups can help. You might also consider joining one of these groups so you have access to their resources/information. 

Kona

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jeffdesurra@fuller.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

This is not answered yet.

Highlighted
Learner II

I also have this question.
To use any of the Articulate 360 tools (Rise, Storyline, etc) it seems like you lose functionality adding the to Canvas via SCORM.

Any actual answers by those who have tried this? I find this from Articulate, but want someone from the Canvas COmmunity to weigh in on it: Publishing Storyline Content in Canvas LMS - Articulate Storyline Discussions - E-Learning Heroes 

Highlighted

Hi Penny,

We use a SCORM app in Canvas that has many limitations but does work with Storyline scorm zip packages. It will only report a complete/incomplete or pass-fail or a single score to the grade book. There is no other reporting available. So you can't get any details on what students have entered if you have short answer/essay questions and you cant see a breakdown or even the scores of individual quizzes in a module. Basically, you can see if a student has not accessed, accessed or completed it. Another limitation is that it must be an assignment... so you finish up with a crazy number of columns in the grade book and you can't hide them. So even though all our Articulate content is formative, it appears in their grade book and causes some students stress if they don't manage to get the 'completed' icon... even though they are set to 0%.

It would be great if anyone knows a way to add Articulate content in a way that you still track but does not have to be an assignment?

Highlighted
Learner II

jeffdesurra@fuller.edu‌ both of your questions are things I am hoping could be added as a native Canvas features as well. I use Rise regularly but have simply structured my Rise content to rely on the the Knowledge Checks and Quizzes to act as formative exercises rather than actually testing and passing results back to Canvas. That way I can just import the courses into Canvas and display in a page using an iframe. I have been able to successfully import and transfer completion data from Rise in Moodle and D2L. 

Additionally, Rise itself seems not to support persistence of data so the only way this functionality would be possible is if Canvas supported SCORM or TinCan and you could actually pass student data back to the LMS. Of course, this is only a one-way transfer as even if you could do that, there's not way to get the data back into the Rise course to display to students - this is true even when you're working in an LMS that supports SCORM or TinCan communication.

Frankly, I prefer to use the native quizzing and surveying tools built into any LMS I'm using but I understand that can be a pain if you have recreate quizzes and surveys in the LMS. Good luck! I'm going to keep tabs on this thread to see if anyone else has any good recommendations. 

Highlighted

I am still struggling with the question in the original post, and so have created an idea to get this addressed: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17018-improved-workflow-from-mobile-app-to-scorm