cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Math Equations in Quiz Answer Options

Jump to solution

Hi, One of my Math instructors would like to be able to build out her quiz answer options with equations included, just as there is the ability to use the Rich Content Editor for crafting the quiz question. For example, while building out a multiple choice type question, as the instructor types in the possible answers she cannot add equations into the answers because the content editor does not appear. Has anyone worked with instructors who requested this feature? Are there any work-arounds? Thank you. :smileyplain:

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi regina.hierholzer@bucks.edu, you stated:

...while building out a multiple choice type question, as the instructor types in the possible answers she cannot add equations into the answers because the content editor does not appear.

However, this is not the case. In the edit mode of the quiz, when the instructor clicks on the Edit pencil for the multiple choice question, the Rich Content Editor will appear--and she can then use the LaTex editor to add her math equations to the answer choices.

So this doesn't require a workaround--it's already a feature in Canvas multiple choice questions.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This is what my screen looks like: 

263816_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you so much for posting this answer!   

The community resource has been a lifesaver this fall.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi regina.hierholzer@bucks.edu, you stated:

...while building out a multiple choice type question, as the instructor types in the possible answers she cannot add equations into the answers because the content editor does not appear.

However, this is not the case. In the edit mode of the quiz, when the instructor clicks on the Edit pencil for the multiple choice question, the Rich Content Editor will appear--and she can then use the LaTex editor to add her math equations to the answer choices.

So this doesn't require a workaround--it's already a feature in Canvas multiple choice questions.

Highlighted

Hi there, I am still having difficulty inserting math equations into my answer choices. I am trying to build a quiz that is not multiple choice, and I cannot figure out how to get the equation tool to populate for use. Please show me how. 

Thanks

Highlighted

This is what my screen looks like: 

263816_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

jamie.kennedy@lcisd.org 

You can only use text with fill in the blank type questions.

Change it to Multiple Choice and then you can click on the pencil that appears next to the trash can. This will switch to the Rich Content Editor where you can use the equation editor.

263822_pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted

Thank you for such a prompt response AND on a Saturday AND on a Saturday Afternoon!

Are you one who affects change with the programming? If so, I would submit a suggestion to permit all quiz answer options to enter equations. If not, would you please direct me to where I may make such a suggestion?

Thank you.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Highlighted

jamie.kennedy@lcisd.org,

This is a global community of Canvas users trying to help each other out. I'm a math teacher at a community college who has been suffering from the lack of support for math and sciences in Canvas since 2012. I don't have any special pull with the programming that happens with Canvas.

Your request has already been made -- multiple times -- over the couple of years I've been involved in the Community. Many of these are in something called "cold storage", which is an archive of feature ideas that don't garner enough love. This, and how to make a feature request, is explained in How does the feature idea process work? 

The current best recommendation is to use an essay question instead of a fill in the blank question if you want the student to manually enter math responses rather than picking from a list. The reason I didn't mention this before was because your question asked them "Which expression is equivalent ..." and that's a multiple choice question, which already supports mathematical content. The choices in a fill in the blank question are not shown to the student, what they type must match one of the responses to be counted as valid.

Therein is the problem with automatically grading any math beyond a simple numeric response. There are multiple ways to write most expressions and with fill in the blank, they must match exactly, including any internal spaces but not capitalization, and you can only enter text. There is a new quizzing engine that enhances this some, but it's still in beta testing right now and it's still not suited for mathematical content.

If you haven't already found it, be sure to check out the Canvas instructor's guide on this website. There's a section on quizzing that explains the different types of questions that are available. 

Highlighted

Thank you so much for posting this answer!   

The community resource has been a lifesaver this fall.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

regina.hierholzer@bucks.edu, if you click on the pencil for each answer option then the rich content editor will open up which would allow you to enter in a formula.

AddFormulaQuizAnswer.jpg

Highlighted

Hi Kona, and Stephanie too, Thanks for your expert advice on using the content editor with quiz answers. It was very helpful! Regina