cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Using Rich Content Editor

Jump to solution

I'm trying to record video and audio using the Rich Content Editor. But when I click on changing from HTML to Rich Content, I just get code with no tools at the top, so I can' click on the media comment tool . What am I doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello ceisenhower​...

Out of curiosity, what web browser are you using?  If you are using IE, please consider switching to either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome (both are free downloads).  IE isn't the best browser to be using with Canvas, so I'd be curious to know if using one of those other two would resolve some of the issues you were having with the RCE.  Also, have you cleared your cache/temporary internet files in the browser you are using?

Please report back to let us know...thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello ceisenhower​...

Out of curiosity, what web browser are you using?  If you are using IE, please consider switching to either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome (both are free downloads).  IE isn't the best browser to be using with Canvas, so I'd be curious to know if using one of those other two would resolve some of the issues you were having with the RCE.  Also, have you cleared your cache/temporary internet files in the browser you are using?

Please report back to let us know...thanks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi ceisenhower

Like chofer@morainepark.edu​ mentioned, this may be due to an outdated browser.  You can run a quick check on your machine and make sure you are using the support browsers by visiting this page: Which browsers does Canvas support? , additionally though, reading your post again, the video recorder is only available when in RCE mode and not in HTML mode.  If you are on a screen with just code showing, then you are probably on HTML mode and not RCE.

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I realized after posting that the RTF was just referring to the tool bar in the edit box and not changing from HTML. I am using a current version of Chrome, and I did clear the cache, which I think sped things up. Still, it didn't help my problem. When I tried to record either video or voice, some times it worked, but most of the time it just kept looping around to the allow Adobe flash player box, I'd click on it, I'd get the spinning wheel, and then it would come back. But I found something that seems to be working better, and I thought I'd go through the steps in case anyone else is having this problem. Chrome has Adobe Flash built in as a plug-in, but I also have it downloaded on my computer. So Chrome suggested the following to see if flash player was enabled:

I can't view rich media content. How do I get Flash Player to turn on?

It's possible that you could have disabled Flash Player in Chrome. To reenable it:

1. Type "about:plugins" (without the quotation marks) into the address bar at the top of a Chrome browser window.

2. Click "Details" at the upper-right corner of the page.

3. Find the "Flash" (or "Shockwave Flash") listing on the Plug-ins page and click the corresponding "Enable" button.

4. Close all Chrome windows and restart the browser.

When I checked, I hadn't disabled Flash Player, but there was a box to check that said 'always use'. I checked that, and it seems to have cleared up the problem so far (although I've only recorded audio, not video at this point). There may have been a conflict between the Chrome flash player and the one on my Mac so that neither could become enabled.

Carol Eisenhower

English Professor

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels