cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ann2
Surveyor

Using the Auto-Enroll Feature

Jump to solution

Hi! I am wondering if there is wide use of auto-enroll into courses and your satisfaction with that.  Our company has rolling admissions and students are bulk enrolled into all coursework upon admission.  This is not a problem in any area except their projects which must be hand-graded. To keep the gradebook numbers down, we have currently put students into sections, but that is not a good long-term solution. We are considering having students auto-enroll in the projects as they are ready to complete, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks for your help, I have really learned a lot on this forum.

#autoenroll

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Explorer III

Hi  @ann2 
We use self-enrollment for our central courses on IT skills, research skills etc that are open to students from all academic disciplines. The enrollment functionality itself works well, what you have to consider is how to publicise the courses and enrollment links to your students. If you set up a course as self-enroll, it generates a URL in the format yourinstitution.instructure.com/enroll/9XXX999 and students use this to enroll rather than the actual course URL. So you either need to email the link to all the relevant students or do what we did which is to set up a page with a catalogue of all our self-enroll courses. Students can browse the course descriptions and then follow the link to enroll on any courses that interest them.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ann2 and Welcome to the Canvas Community,

I wanted to find out a little more about the auto-enroll feature you mention. I am aware of Self-Enrolment (where, if your institution allows it, a teacher can configure a Course to let students enrol at their leisure as per How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL? ).

A lot of companies utilise the Canvas APIs to write their own integrations into the Canvas application, doing things like auto enrolments. The third option that is ringing some bells is the SIS imports function.

Could you please clarify which of these you are using at your company and if any of these ring any bells. I would like to ensure we are on the same page to give you the best advice!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Stuart

ann2
Surveyor

Thanks, Stuart, 

I apologize, I used the wrong terminology.  I was asking about Self-enrollment.  I know how to set it up and use it, I am just wondering if any large groups (we have about 15000 users) had any issues with it and if it works as intended. Basically, we want to see if our users could self-enroll in selected projects and assignments, rather than have the courses automatically added to their course lists.  I appreciate any feedback from the community.

Thanks, 

Ann

Hi  @ann2 ,

Got it that makes complete sense. I have never used it on such a large basis myself, however Canvas Free for Teachers (if I remember correctly) does utilise self-enrolment on a large scale.

However, for good extra measure, I am sharing this with the Canvas Admins‌ group, hopefully one of the Canvas Admins in there might be able to speak for utilising this on a larger scale within a school or institution and can give you some tips.

Hope that helps!
Stuart

Steve_Watts
Explorer III

Hi  @ann2 
We use self-enrollment for our central courses on IT skills, research skills etc that are open to students from all academic disciplines. The enrollment functionality itself works well, what you have to consider is how to publicise the courses and enrollment links to your students. If you set up a course as self-enroll, it generates a URL in the format yourinstitution.instructure.com/enroll/9XXX999 and students use this to enroll rather than the actual course URL. So you either need to email the link to all the relevant students or do what we did which is to set up a page with a catalogue of all our self-enroll courses. Students can browse the course descriptions and then follow the link to enroll on any courses that interest them.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much! We have a similar page of links to various courses, currently those links do not include the self-enroll feature. Your information is exactly what I was seeking.