Video Feedback on Assignment

SHD
Community Member

I'm an English professor who has recently discovered the joy of leaving video feedback for students on their essay assignments. It's a great way of taking the edge off of comments that might otherwise seem sharp when they arrive in written form. In these early days of my use of this approach, a few questions/issues have arisen :

1) After I have recorded the video, a text box appears that prompts me to name it as a file and then save it. Where does it save to? I cannot for the life of me find the recordings anywhere else but on the assignment page for the student for whom it was intended. This is also curious because the video will save and post regardless of whether or not I name it.

2) (This is a question for programmers/designers) At present, once recording has begun, it is no longer possible to scroll through the assignment. Because I'm commenting on multi-page essays, it would be really helpful to have both capabilities on the same page: to record and to have full access to the assignment upon which I'm commenting. Is there any chance that that change could be made?

3) I've noticed a weird bug: I record feedback for Student A. While the video is still processing, I proceed to Student B's essay. While I'm reading Student B's essay, the video feedback for Student A uploads to Student B's assignment page. This is especially frustrating for three reasons:

• There is no way to redirect that video feedback to Student A's page and, as a result...
  • That video needs to be deleted and time must then be given over to a retake of Student A's feedback.
  • This slows down the grading process, as I've learned through trial and error to wait many minutes before moving on to grade the next student's work.

I have developed an inelegant work-around, which is to have two tabs open for the same assignment and to toggle between them in order to keep moving forward. Preventing this from happening in the first place would be far more preferable.

Thank you for taking these matters into consideration. I appreciate it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes