cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
killmedc
Community Member

Video Messaging on canvas

Jump to solution

I recorded a video directly in my composed message in canvas to send to my professor. I sent them the email but they are not able to open the media link attached and now when I go back tot he original email I cannot open the file either. Before I sent the video it asked me to save the file and so I did, my question is where does that file save to for me to access now? I don't want to have to re-record but can't find the video anywhere on my computer or on my canvas account, it never prompted me to name it or choose a location to save it to. SOS!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@killmedc ​, from your description, it sounds like you composed your message by using the media recording tool--and you're right, when you do that, you're prompted to save the video, but you are not prompted to choose a location or name. That is because those media recordings are not saved where they are readily accessible, and you will not be able to find the recorded artifact in your Canvas account or on your computer. I recommend that you open a support ticket by clicking on the Help link in your Canvas course--ideally, when you click on Help have your screen open to the Canvas Inbox and the specific message containing the video--so that Canvas Support can investigate the matter and, we hope, retrieve the media file for you and your professor. Choose the "Report a Problem" option from the menu.

I realize that this is after-the-fact advice, but when I am recording a media comment that I might need in the future--or for that matter, virtually any media comment at all--I nearly always record it outside of Canvas and save it on my device, and then use the "upload" instead of the "record" feature of the media recording tool. That way, if something goes wrong, I still have the recording stored locally.

I hope Canvas Support is able to help you with this; they've been known to perform miracles!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@killmedc ​, from your description, it sounds like you composed your message by using the media recording tool--and you're right, when you do that, you're prompted to save the video, but you are not prompted to choose a location or name. That is because those media recordings are not saved where they are readily accessible, and you will not be able to find the recorded artifact in your Canvas account or on your computer. I recommend that you open a support ticket by clicking on the Help link in your Canvas course--ideally, when you click on Help have your screen open to the Canvas Inbox and the specific message containing the video--so that Canvas Support can investigate the matter and, we hope, retrieve the media file for you and your professor. Choose the "Report a Problem" option from the menu.

I realize that this is after-the-fact advice, but when I am recording a media comment that I might need in the future--or for that matter, virtually any media comment at all--I nearly always record it outside of Canvas and save it on my device, and then use the "upload" instead of the "record" feature of the media recording tool. That way, if something goes wrong, I still have the recording stored locally.

I hope Canvas Support is able to help you with this; they've been known to perform miracles!

View solution in original post