cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Video Playback doesn't begin in the Canvas iPhone App.

Hello,

I have a course in canvas that happens to be an imported SCORM compliant file. I have tested my course on a PC and the embedded videos playback automatically. When I view the course through the IPhone app, the course looks great with the exception of video not playing back. I'm also not presented with video playback controls to manually start the video.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

~Todd

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Todd,

Do you know if the video created in the SCORM package is possibly flash based?  If so that could explain it not working on a mobile device since Flash typically isn't supported on mobile.  See if when you view the video on a computer if you can tell the format.  For Flash, usually the browser prompts you to allow the first time you view it.

Generally speaking I try to avoid SCORM based content in Canvas.  I don't know the details but it has never really played well in Canvas.  I know that many believe the SCORM protocol to be not very secure and at one point I had heard that as a reason Canvas was not doing much to pursue making the packages work very well inside of the LMS.

Rick

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the reply Rick!

The video's are .mp4's. I'm going to try some other video formats before I go down a different path.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey Rick,

I have the screen-castomatic external app loaded into my canvas and I embedded the code generated by screencastomatic directly from the app within canvas editor and It won't playback the embedded video on the iphone app. How do I tell if it's scorm based? I can't see options on screencast to change the type of embed coding. The embedded video plays back fine on my macbook pro. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

David,

I'm sorry but I really don't know a lot about screencast o'matic or why videos hosted on their site won't display on a mobile device.  My guess is that the video format they are hosting with for embedded video won't work on a mobile platform, but it's also possible the issue is with the Canvas app getting the information.  

Instead of embedding using screencast omatic, have you thought about just uploading the video into Canvas?  Using 3rd party systems can have some benefits, but for simple hosting of video Canvas actually does a pretty good job and should always work within Canvas.   Here is a guide for the best way to upload and embed a video in Canvas using their own video system https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13055-4152719746 

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks! Yeah, I normally have been uploading the video but would prefer to embed due to playback features.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can you also include a screenshot of where the video isn't playing? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi, I just wanted to check in again to see if you were able to solve this issue. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Ryan, when I embed from the screencastomatic app connected in my canvas editor it does populate the the video image on the student app but won't playback. It does however playback fine on a browser. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

davidbohn@churchofjesuschrist.org‌, 

Are you embedding the video in the RCE using Record/Upload Video Comment? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13055-4152719746 

0 Kudos
Labels