cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdzuck
Community Member

Videos hide page content

I've noticed that when I have multiple videos on a page that when someone tries to play a video, the thumbnail becomes a larger window that covers up the rest of the videos and causes students to not know that the other (covered up) videos are on the page.  Is there a way to force the other material down when a video plays so that the rest of the page's content remains visible?

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sdzuck .  How are you inserting your videos onto the page and are they coming from a particular source?  I wanted to recreate the problem but so far haven't been able to.  On a page I embedded videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and TED and they all played in their standard windows.  I also uploaded a video with the rich content editor.  This window become larger when played but the text and everything else did bump down.  I'm also curios as to which browser you are using.  I have only tried so far in Chrome.

sdzuck
Community Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying!

No, they are videos that I’ve shot and uploaded into “files” on Canvas.

Dave

S. David Zuckerman, PhD

Fulbright Scholar

Professor, International and Intercultural Communication

Department of Communication Studies

California State University, Sacramento

6000 J Street

Sacramento, CA 96819-6070

No problem!  I tried loading a couple of sample videos in files too and the text still bumps down, but the play window is pretty large.  I'll keep trying a few things and let you know if I learn anything interesting!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sdzuck ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since ericwerth's response on January 19, 2018.  Are you still experiencing issues with your videos?  Has this been resolved?  If you would be able to provide an update for us, that would be helpful.

Have you considered using YouTube for your videos?  You could create a Google/YouTube account and then upload your videos to your account.  You could set each video as "unlisted" so that only people that have the link could access them.  (More info here: Change video privacy settings - Computer - YouTube Help.)  You would then harvest the embed code for the YouTube video.  Then, back in your course, you could use the harvested embed code to display your video on a page in your Canvas course.  You can use the instructions here: How do I embed iFrame videos using the Rich Content Editor? (use the "Embed" tab to paste in your harvested embed code).

Another option, though there is a cost to this one, is Arc (see the Arc Users Group).  Arc is an Instructure product.  I'm not sure if your school has purchased Arc, but it's a tool that lets you upload audio and video files to your own Arc library, and then you can have interactive discussions in your course by embedding that content in Pages, Assignments, and even Discussions.

I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Dave.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.