cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coylem
Community Member

View In-line comments when work has been downloaded?

Jump to solution

When the student downloads their submitted work, they can view the in-line comments I have given for feedback.  When I download their submitted work, I can’t view these comments. How can I see the comments given when the document has been downloaded?

Many thanks.

Michelle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @coylem  Welcome to the Canvas Community. Instructors can download a PDF version of the assignment with the DocViewer inline comments by clicking on the arrow that is shown on the very first screen capture at number 1 in this online lesson: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15081-4152719763   When you download it, depending on the type of annotation and your PDF reader version, you may have to click on icons within the PDF to actually view/open the comments that you made, but they are there.

I might add that students have this ability to save your comments, as well, when viewing the DocViewer on their end, which is important because if they ever RE-submit an assignment, they will no longer see the original inline comments.  (

I hope this helps, Michelle!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @coylem  Welcome to the Canvas Community. Instructors can download a PDF version of the assignment with the DocViewer inline comments by clicking on the arrow that is shown on the very first screen capture at number 1 in this online lesson: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15081-4152719763   When you download it, depending on the type of annotation and your PDF reader version, you may have to click on icons within the PDF to actually view/open the comments that you made, but they are there.

I might add that students have this ability to save your comments, as well, when viewing the DocViewer on their end, which is important because if they ever RE-submit an assignment, they will no longer see the original inline comments.  (

I hope this helps, Michelle!

View solution in original post