cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkspencer
Community Member

Viewing groups as an instructor

Jump to solution

I'm an instructor and I'm trying to test out the groups in the "People" section of a class. I want to know what the students see when they try to enter a group. I went to the course settings and tried viewing the "Groups" page as a student but when I went there (while acting as a student) I see that all groups have a little locked symbol next to them saying that the group is for a different section.

Questions:

1.) Can I not join the groups because I'm not actually a student? (I'm just an instructor acting like a student)

2.) If every student sees this, how can I make the group available to all sections?

I've included a screenshot to show you what I see.

Selection_001.png

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pkspencer​...

I *think* I can answer a couple of your questions.  First, you will not be able to add yourself to a group as an instructor.  When you go through the group setup, only the students are listed there for you to put into groups...not anyone with a "Teacher" role.  Also, when you were logged in as the "Test Student", that's technically not a real student, and so when you were looking at the groups from the student view as you've shown above, it makes sense that the "Test Student" wouldn't be able to access any of those groups because "Test Student" wasn't listed as a student when you created the groups.

I wrote a blog a while back called Easy Student Group Access for Instructors that may have some answers (or at least some related information) that you might want to take a look at.  You can find it in the Canvas Admins​ group here in the Canvas Community.  If you're not following that group, you can click on the "Follow" link at the top right corner of that page.  I need to update the image in my blog, but the directions should still be good.

Hope this helps, Patrick!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pkspencer​...

I *think* I can answer a couple of your questions.  First, you will not be able to add yourself to a group as an instructor.  When you go through the group setup, only the students are listed there for you to put into groups...not anyone with a "Teacher" role.  Also, when you were logged in as the "Test Student", that's technically not a real student, and so when you were looking at the groups from the student view as you've shown above, it makes sense that the "Test Student" wouldn't be able to access any of those groups because "Test Student" wasn't listed as a student when you created the groups.

I wrote a blog a while back called Easy Student Group Access for Instructors that may have some answers (or at least some related information) that you might want to take a look at.  You can find it in the Canvas Admins​ group here in the Canvas Community.  If you're not following that group, you can click on the "Follow" link at the top right corner of that page.  I need to update the image in my blog, but the directions should still be good.

Hope this helps, Patrick!

View solution in original post

pkspen2
Community Member

I made myself a student in the class as your blog post suggested but it didn't allow my to add myself to a group. I just saw the same group page options that I saw as an instructor. It's too bad that didn't work. I think I'm just going to have to ask a student to show me what their group page looks like and go from there.