cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_lowe
Community Member

Visibility of "Next" and "Previous" Buttons on Mobile

Jump to solution

Why aren't the "Next" and "Previous" buttons visible and active on the mobile version? I love using my iPhone to access my Canvas courses, but I can not use Next or Previous to navigate from page to page or lesson to lesson.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

This sounds like two separate issues. The mobile app and the mobile web.

Mobile app:

The next and previous buttons made a brief cameo on the Android app when it was launched in 2013. They were quickly removed and never added again. The next and previous buttons have never been part of the iOS app. This sounds like a feature idea!

Mobile web:

I have heard of some wonkiness, but I don't have much experience using Canvas on a mobile website for content viewing. I generally stick to the app. Anyways, this might be a bug.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, I'm not sure other than not everything in Canvas transfers nicely over to mobile. Hopefully someone else has some experience or ideas about this!

jazemlya
Surveyor

I just searched to see if anyone is having the same issue i am having.  Here is what i am seeing which sounds similar to above:

There is a course that has a module setup we are currently testing for some high profile users.  If I go through safari on my phone 6+ and my Ipad and click the first module everything seems fine.  I see the next button at the bottom of the module.  I click it, it works and I am taken to the next module where i still see the previous and next button.  After a few clicks i am taken to a module that asks users to click a link to pop out to a new tab/window.  On this page i get no Next or Previous button at the bottom of the module.

Interestingly if I hit refresh on the page the buttons appear.  Going forward every time i go back the buttons are there unless i clear my browsers cache/history for that session.  With a clean history the buttons disappear again and i must refresh to make them appear.  I consider this a bug and will be submitting a ticket on it.  But it sounds close to what Micheal may be experiencing.

Justin

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rseilham ​, do you have any experience with this?

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

This sounds like two separate issues. The mobile app and the mobile web.

Mobile app:

The next and previous buttons made a brief cameo on the Android app when it was launched in 2013. They were quickly removed and never added again. The next and previous buttons have never been part of the iOS app. This sounds like a feature idea!

Mobile web:

I have heard of some wonkiness, but I don't have much experience using Canvas on a mobile website for content viewing. I generally stick to the app. Anyways, this might be a bug.

View solution in original post

And I was talking about the mobile app...not mobile web.

Michael L. Lowe, M.Ed.

Business/Technology Education

Indian Trails Middle School

michael_lowe@scps.k12.fl.us<mailto:michael_lowe@scps.k12.fl.us>

407-320-4350

In that case then it sounds like a Canvas Feature Idea if you're interested in pursing it!

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Done. Let's see if it makes the cut!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​...

I know others have already been helping you, and that's awesome!  I wanted to let you know I am going to shorten your topic title a bit since you already have stated the same question in the body of your message.  I am also going to tag your question with keywords.  Doing these things will make your posting easier for people to search for in case they have a similar question.  If the topic title does not accurately reflect the body of your message, please let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  Thanks!

hburgiel
Surveyor

I just discovered the same problem.

I had set up my course with a flashy front page that linked to the first module page.  On a desktop computer I can go through the whole course without viewing the Modules page, which I think gives the course a very professional and polished feel.

However, my experience on the iPad is that the Next button only appears if I enter through the Modules page, and I cannot use Next/Previous to move between modules.