cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Website references not wrapping within Canvas right margin

Jump to solution

I am a graduate nursing student participating in a discussion board assignment through a class (NURS 8446).  When documenting my references I notice my website addresses do not wrap within the canvas window.  How can I prevent this from happening?

Thank you,

Catherine Kohl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi cmk0041@auburn.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community and sorry to hear you are having this issue. That is very unusual behavior you're describing, and try as I might I cannot repeat the same issue that you are having while replying to a discussion prompt.

One suggestion (putting on my former librarian hat) is when using a reference from an online/article database, the majority of these have "permalinks" or "permanent URLs" depending on the database. Copy that rather than the full URL that you see on the top of the page.  This will not make a difference in why this issue is occurring for you, but I just wanted to point it out AND it will often have a prompt for copying that URL rather than your having to click and drag over the reference link.  (Which is where I have a feeling this issue may be starting; besides, it's often a shorter URL.)   Secondly, when pasting into Canvas, right-click and paste as plain text.  (This is an option in Google Chrome by default.) If your browser does not offer this option, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+V should do the trick.  (Cmd if using a Mac.)  Once you hit the ENTER key on your keyboard, Canvas' rich content editor should take it from there and automatically convert it to a URL.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that "something" may be happening when you are copying whatever URL you are trying to copy.  I'm thinking that it's just not treating it as text for some reason or that there is some odd character in the URL that is not allowing Canvas to wrap it properly.  Hopefully one of these will help, Catherine!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi cmk0041@auburn.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community and sorry to hear you are having this issue. That is very unusual behavior you're describing, and try as I might I cannot repeat the same issue that you are having while replying to a discussion prompt.

One suggestion (putting on my former librarian hat) is when using a reference from an online/article database, the majority of these have "permalinks" or "permanent URLs" depending on the database. Copy that rather than the full URL that you see on the top of the page.  This will not make a difference in why this issue is occurring for you, but I just wanted to point it out AND it will often have a prompt for copying that URL rather than your having to click and drag over the reference link.  (Which is where I have a feeling this issue may be starting; besides, it's often a shorter URL.)   Secondly, when pasting into Canvas, right-click and paste as plain text.  (This is an option in Google Chrome by default.) If your browser does not offer this option, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+V should do the trick.  (Cmd if using a Mac.)  Once you hit the ENTER key on your keyboard, Canvas' rich content editor should take it from there and automatically convert it to a URL.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that "something" may be happening when you are copying whatever URL you are trying to copy.  I'm thinking that it's just not treating it as text for some reason or that there is some odd character in the URL that is not allowing Canvas to wrap it properly.  Hopefully one of these will help, Catherine!

View solution in original post