cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

What are the best practices using Outcomes that you've discovered

Hi all,

We've been piloting Canvas and I love the idea of the mastery view of my grade book and how easy it is to link course learning outcomes to assessments, but I feel that I could be doing a much better job of it. I would like to know what best practices others have discovered in using outcomes.  For example, I have found that carefully constructed outcomes make for rapid rubric construction, but that's a bit tricky to analyze in advance.

If you are using the outcomes feature, I'd love to hear about how you go about it in the course design phase as well as implementation, and lessons learned.

Thank you,

/sydney

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

sbrown3@unl.edu​, since your prompt invites open participation with no single response expected to stand out as uniquely "correct," I've changed the format to a discussion. Also, are you familiar with the Canvas Focus Group: Outcomes ?

Highlighted

Thank you. I was unsure exactly where to post my query and felt my searches weren’t getting me the type of information I was looking for. I was not familiar with the Canvas Focus Group: Outcomes and have asked to join. Thank you for your attentiveness and help.

/s

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi sbrown3@unl.edu​. I suggest first looking at this page: Best practices in setting up Outcomes. There are several outcome related resources that include best practices. In my experience, spending time on initial setup and how you would like outcomes to be assessed will help you focus on how exactly to use it in your courses. For instance, do you have key assessments that need to be measured? Are you wanting to roll this out to all faculty/instructors? How do you want the data to be organized in the graphical reports provided in Canvas? How do you want the scores to be calculated?

Highlighted

This is helpful. Thank you, Bryan, for bringing it to my attention.

/s

Highlighted
Community Member

Great comments! I appreciate this thread.

I'd be interested in learning about how/if anyone is using Outcomes and the caluclation method "n Number of Times" - I'd love to hear how it's working, what you used for mastery, and any other tips or tricks. I've been playing around with this option and seem to be running into some issues. Perhaps, I am going about it incorrectly.

Thanks!