cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_causby
Community Member

What are the differences between an account level and a course level external tool?

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have a use case where we would like an external tool available for most courses, but not all courses.  This tool when configured at the account level gets propagated to all the courses in the account, inheriting the tool.  What I would ultimately like to be able to do is configure a tool on the account level, and then be able to do course level edits to the tool that would only be reflected on that particular course.

However, it seems that the account level tool can only be edited on the account level.  Does this mean that technically, the tool only exists in one place (the account in this case) and the only thing being changed from course to course would be the context?  Could this relationship be explained in more detail?

Thanks,
Jerry

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @j_causby 

jschaffer is correct in his summary. If individual courses are not using an account-level tool, then the instructors have the ability to hide the course link for that tool from the students. Depending on the tool, though, not all LTIs are visible to students.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

Unless an account-level LTI supports it, they are usually not modifiable at the course level. There are many notable exceptions to this though, and many are actually designed to be configured at the course-level, such as the Respondus LockDown Browser LTI.

If you have questions about a specific LTI tool, I would suggest contacting the vendor.

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jschaffer
Learner II

@j_causby ‌,

Typically, anything that is enabled on the account level will be available to all courses in that account, whether they use the tool or not.  However, by enabling a tool or feature on the course level, you localize it to that one instance in Canvas.  We often enable tools globally (like Turnitin or Lynda) when we know that there is a chance that most, if not all, courses could use the tool. 

Whereas we have program specific tools (for things like Math or English courses) that are enabled on the course level for just a handful of offerings each term. This prevents confusion from any instructors, and it assures that the tool is still available to the instructors/students/courses it is built for, whereas if this was enabled globally, we would have to find a way to make sure the tool was disabled for all the courses that did not need it. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

The tool isn't so much as a department specific or course specific tool.  It's lecture capture, so it would be used on all courses with an exception to a few where it would be irrelevant.  The issue is, there doesn't even seem to be a way to hide the tool on those courses if it were added on the account level.  It seems a very 'all or nothing' decision, which if it is, we would have to find an administrative approach instead of a technical approach to making it work.

@j_causby 

We have a lecture capture solution integrated at the account level. A link for the tool appears in the course navigation menu of all courses. Course navigation menu items can be hidden at the course level ,as the guide I linked to above describes.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

@kmeeusen ‌,

This is exactly what we do if/when we have a course that does not utilize Turnitin, or Lynda.  Since our courses are centralized, we can update this setting on the Master Course, then when the courses are duped out for the upcoming term, those settings are maintained in all subsequent sections. 

However, for  @j_causby ‌, if you do not have master courses, you can still show your instructors how to hide these tools on the navigation page in about 5 minutes.  It is a very easy and straightforward process (like almost everything else in Canvas).

Jason

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @j_causby 

jschaffer is correct in his summary. If individual courses are not using an account-level tool, then the instructors have the ability to hide the course link for that tool from the students. Depending on the tool, though, not all LTIs are visible to students.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

Unless an account-level LTI supports it, they are usually not modifiable at the course level. There are many notable exceptions to this though, and many are actually designed to be configured at the course-level, such as the Respondus LockDown Browser LTI.

If you have questions about a specific LTI tool, I would suggest contacting the vendor.

Kelley

View solution in original post