What defines which classes are displayed in "Past Enrollments"?

Jump to solution
jubarro1
Community Novice

I'm a student and can't see all of my past enrollments. That is, I can see some, but not all. Most are from the previous semester (Spring 2020) but one is from Spring 2019, so I'm not sure if that one class is shown in error, or if all of the other courses that I've taken with Canvas are NOT shown in error.

My preference is to see all courses from past enrollments, with secondary preference being to have only the previous semester viewable, and last presence being to show no past enrollments. Having a seemingly random mix of courses displayed is messing with my OCD LOL!

Let me (us) know why there is this odd behavior, please.

Thanks,

James

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hey James,

How classes show under Previous Enrollments is governed by settings set by admins, and in some cases teachers at your school.  Since teachers have some control that is why I'm guessing you are seeing some inconsistency.  In what I would call a normal situation, a school has Term Dates set for Canvas and when it gets beyond the End Date for that Term, courses move into the Prior Enrollments section. However, courses also can have their own Start and End Dates which can override those term dates.  Instructors can set these to be different if they choose (usually, depends on if admins allow it).

So those aspects above can contribute to when courses go into Prior Enrollment (also call Concluded) status, but there is one more important consideration.  In each course an instructor can choose to restrict students from viewing a course before the start date, or after the end date as shown in the screenshot below.

350926_pastedImage_1.png

So for the courses you are NOT seeing at all, my guess is that those instructors checked the box to "Restrict students from viewing this course after end date".  From my experience as an admin, sometimes instructor consciously do this to protect the course content.  They don't want students having access to past graded assignments or other content which they might share with other students currently taking the course.  In other cases they didn't know what the boxes did and just thought it was something they should click.  

I hope that helps you understand that a little better better in terms of why you might be seeing some differences.  If you want to be able to see those past courses again which are missing it would probably require asking the instructor about it.

Rick

View solution in original post