Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

What do you use for online tutorials?

Jump to solution

HI Community.

Last week we ran our first two online tutorials using Skype for Business. The first session was fine but the second one had a dreadful lag which meant participants could not see the slides I was sharing.

What do you guys use for such events?

I really do not want a repeat of last week!

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au

For the record, I hate Skype, and for many reasons, not the least of which being that it requires a download for participants, and eats bandwidth like a rabid dog drinks water.

I also find live sessions to suffer the same curses that ericwerth‌ pointed out. 

If you must have live sessions, BBB does work, as well as any number of other webinar tools that are available. You can even get a free Zoom room in which to host events.

So what I do is create asynchronous training sessions using Canvas. When I do need to deliver synchronous training,  I use Conferences in Canvas (BBB), or Zoom.

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au!  I haven't done many online tutorials recently, but earlier this term did need to conduct a Canvas tutorial for an adjunct faculty member in another state.  I used BigBlueButton for this through Canvas and it went very well.  At a previous institution where I worked we did more online tutorials and had a subscription to Adobe Connect for this purpose.  After a relatively short period of time we began de-emphasizing live online tutorials and went instead for pre-recorded training sessions that could be accessed on demand.  The quality of the recording was normally better than what we could do live online and frequently we could not find a time when many individuals could get together synchronously for training.  Providing individuals with a link to the recording and following up to answer their questions or discuss material further was fairly effective.

I look forward to hearing more from others about what they are using and what their experience has been! 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au

For the record, I hate Skype, and for many reasons, not the least of which being that it requires a download for participants, and eats bandwidth like a rabid dog drinks water.

I also find live sessions to suffer the same curses that ericwerth‌ pointed out. 

If you must have live sessions, BBB does work, as well as any number of other webinar tools that are available. You can even get a free Zoom room in which to host events.

So what I do is create asynchronous training sessions using Canvas. When I do need to deliver synchronous training,  I use Conferences in Canvas (BBB), or Zoom.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer

Hi bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au

We recently moved from Adobe Connect to Zoom for both our online meetings in some programs and recorded content. Adobe uses Flash for playback which was a deal breaker for Apple products and caused lots of help calls.

Skype is better quality, but also doesn't run natively on Apple.

So far, the Zoom roll out has been a great success for both ease of use and quality of calls.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

Yes, everyone has been more than helpful. Happy to mark as answered. Thanks for checking in rogrant@nmsu.edu