cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer II

What does No Submission mean?

Struggling to find an answer here or in the Guides.

What does the No Submission option mean in an Assignment Submission type and why would you have it?

311583_pastedImage_1.png

The reason I ask is that it could have positive implications for some ideas on Gamification/Outcomes ideas that we a few of us have been sharing.

What for example is the difference between On Paper and No Submission?

6 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl,

No Submission is when you do not want students to submit an assignment in Canvas. This assignment type can be used to create extra columns in the Gradebook, or when you want to create an assignment that involves multiple scores. Submission Type does not apply to Not Graded assignments.

On Paper is when you want students to submit an assignment to you but not through Canvas. This assignment type applies to traditional face-to-face courses or hybrid courses when you want the assignment turned in during class, but you still want to create a column in the Canvas Gradebook for grading purposes.

Does this help?

Robbie

Cheers Robbie, that is of great help!

Community Member

Hi Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl‌ - While I may not have the "best" answer, I have an answer.  I agree that the wording of that really threw me off the first time my institution went on Canvas about 5 years ago, but after playing around with it I explain it to my own faculty this way: there is no technical different in how it works, in that the student does not submit anything BUT it adds a column to the gradebook for you to record a grade.  But there IS a difference.

An "on paper" submission type is for assignment where the students submit something....well, on paper, such as an in-class exam that you administer on paper, or perhaps using those wonderful blue books that we used to be supplied with back in the day for essay exams when there was no computer to be found.  (Or the instructor doesn't want them anywhere near a computer.)

A "no submission" assignment is perfect for something like an oral presentation or class participation grades.  (I often remind faculty that the Roll Call Attendance is just that...for counting attendance.  But many, many faculty grade on class participation, as well.  So "no submission" is perfect for that.)

Also--and this is probably the most important of all--try making both and head into Student View.  You will see that an "on paper" assignment shows exactly that on the assignment page when the student clicks up on it.  It says submitting: on paper, as shown below from the student's perspective:

Submitting on paper

A "no submission" assignment, however, shows absolutely nothing of that sort on the assignment landing page to the student, such as this sample page here:

Sample class participation assignment

Does that help at all, Gideon?

Greetings kblack@dom.eduSmiley Happy

That answer is extremely helpful, and I appreciate your unpacking the nuances for me (uh, I mean us!).

Moreover, supplying contexts by which we may better utilize these tools, truly leaves me better-off than before perusing this post!

Have a SUPER Day!

Glad to be of help, Timothy!

Thanks so much Ken and for the detailed explanation and picture - awesome!