What does "Generate Possible Solutions" do?

daniel_ferrante
Community Novice

I am creating a formula question for a quiz.

Let's say that my question on the quiz is:

"What is 5 times [X]?"

And I give a range of X as 1 - 5 (set to zero decimal places).

I would expect Canvas to be able to randomly choose one of the following possibilities:

"What is 5 times 1?"

"What is 5 times 2?"

"What is 5 times 3?"

"What is 5 times 4?"

"What is 5 times 5?"

And if I define the formula as: 5 * x, I should have the following possible solutions:

However, if I attempt to save the question at this point, Canvas tells me I need to generate at least one possible solution.

If I do just ONE possible solution, the quiz will only ever generate one question - for the sake of argument, let's say it's, "What is 5 times 2?"

No matter how many times I reload the quiz, I ALWAYS get, "What is 5 times 2?"

If I tell the quiz to generate 5 possible solutions, it will do that, but NOT using all the possible values of X (1 - 5). It will simply generate random  values for X between 1 and 5, but it might repeat some of the values.

I have to use 10 possible solutions and hope that it will generate at least on instance of each possible value of X.

I have a few questions:

1. What purpose does "Generate Possible Solutions" serve? What exactly is it doing in the quiz and how it is beneficial to the person making the quiz or the student taking it?

2. Why is it that Canvas seemingly cannot generate questions using all values in a range? I understand that numbers are infinite, etc. But if I tell it to use 1 - 5 with no decimals, it should be able to randomly generate 5 different questions.