cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmberg
Surveyor

What happened to the math editor symbol?

Jump to solution

Today, I noticed the math editor button changed symbols.  I am not sure when it changed. It used to be a Pi symbol, but now looks like a Paragraph symbol.  Some fellow math teachers were freaking out that they couldn't find the math editor button any longer.  We then discovered it was just a symbol change.  Anyway to make it really a Pi symbol again?pi.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tbunag
Community Member

It looks like this has been fixed, which makes me very happy!  I hope it's looking better for everyone.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
abunag
Surveyor

There was an update to the icons used in Canvas - an attempt to create a more universal experience between browser and mobile, and also across products.  I'd assume you could mess around with the CSS of the page to change the icon (which would do it for the entirety of your school's canvas, but for the general user, no, it can't be changed back.  You could talk to your Instructure rep to get an explanation for why a paragraph icon is being used to represent an equation though.  The icon is called "equation".

Here's the production release notes discussing the icon implementation: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8731#jive_content_id__Other_Updates

And the icon library being used: http://instructure.github.io/instructure-icons/

Thanks for quick reply and the resources to go with it.  Not what I was hoping to hear though.  I will pass along the info in our district so others don't panic as well.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@abunag ​ and  @kmberg ​, I started a support case for this on Sunday (Case #01757305) and also commented on the documentation (How do I use the Math Editor in the Rich Content Editor?​). As you'll see in the comments section, the Canvas Doc Team told me that support is looking into this, so I wouldn't assume that the new symbol is going to stay as is. I recommend that all affected parties submit their own help tickets, and feel free to reference my case number, so that Canvas Support can group the tickets. Once you open a support case, you'll be kept notified of any updates as they occur.

By the way, I had another conversation in the Community about this very topic a few days ago, and learned that the paragraph symbol is called a "pilcrow." Live and learn. Smiley Happy

tbunag
Community Member

Thank you for submitting that!  I can understand looking at alternate symbols, but hopefully, Support will be able to at least make it some common math symbol.

We contacted our CSM directly about this issue.  Its just a weird decision on Instructure's part to use that icon. Smiley Sad

tbunag
Community Member

It looks like this has been fixed, which makes me very happy!  I hope it's looking better for everyone.

View solution in original post