cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solomon_klein
Community Member

What happens do Discussion posts when a student drops a course?

Jump to solution

Our registration in Canvas courses at our institution are handled by an external server - when students drop through the reigstrar's office the change is reflected in Canvas a few hours later. What will happen to a student's Discussion board posts if they drop a class and are removed through the Registrar's office? Do they remain visible? Do they appear as if they have been deleted? I would hope that dropping a course will not affect anyone who has replied to a post that the dropped student made.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ellen_peters
Explorer II

Hi  @solomonmklein ,

I had the same question, so I tested this with a manual delete of a user from a course, and a delete from the entire Canvas account. The good news is that the discussion post remains visible in the course, including the name of the student. If you click on the name, you see a message 'The user does not exist or is not a member of this course'.

Kind regards,

Ellen

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bneporadny
Navigator

Hi Solomon,

This all depends on what status your system uses when removing them from the course in Canvas. Here is a great document that explains what each enrollment status means and does. You may need to check with your Canvas Admins to see which status your school is using when removing students from the course and then make modifications to that status if needed based on your needs.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasEnrollmentStatusComparison.pdf  

ellen_peters
Explorer II

Hi  @solomonmklein ,

I had the same question, so I tested this with a manual delete of a user from a course, and a delete from the entire Canvas account. The good news is that the discussion post remains visible in the course, including the name of the student. If you click on the name, you see a message 'The user does not exist or is not a member of this course'.

Kind regards,

Ellen

View solution in original post

Thank you! Very helpful.