cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurakgibbs
Surveyor

What has happened to the redirect tool?

Jump to solution

I rely on the Redirect Tool a lot, especially for the purpose of making my Canvas Pages be part of the left-hand navigation inside Canvas itself.

Now the Redirect Tool is showing a new behavior that is making this very frustrating: if I click on a menu item that I created with the redirect tool, instead of it seamlessly going to the designated Page, it displays a Redirect button that the students must press.

This was not the behavior in the past.

Here is an example. In my Myth Course, there is a Page which has the students' blogs in a stream, and I have that Page in the menu using the Redirect Tool:

Daily Announcements: MLLL-3043 Myth-Folklore - Spring 2018 

This is extremely frustrating. Has something happened?

Can it be fixed?

Nobody wants to stare at a screen like this when they are trying to navigate through a course site. When students click on a button, they should be able to go to there. It's just a Page in my own Canvas course!

Blog Stream: MLLL-3043 Myth-Folklore - Spring 2018 

screenshot of redirect button

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @klundstrum ‌, and thanks for checking back; there was a bug fix that took care of this, and I haven't had the problem since! Thank goodness: I use the redirect tool for lots of internal course navigation! 🙂

View solution in original post

18 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

laurakgibbs, I don’t think I have any classes that use this to test it on, but you might want to go ahead and put in a Support ticket for this just in case it’s something Canvas has to fix. 

G_Petruzella
Learner II

Hi laurakgibbs - Hmm, yeah, I second  @kona  on the ticket idea. I've just checked one of my Redirects and it's behaving as usual - opening the resource immediately within the frame. And in fact, when I followed your link and tried the "Blogs" option, I got the expected behavior too! A browser issue maybe?? (I tested using Firefox 57 and Chrome 63).

Oh, that is a relief. I will do a cookie purge on this computer and see if that fixes it. THANK YOU,  @kona ‌ and  @G_Petruzella ‌ for the testing. That is a big help!

I was surprised my students hadn't written to me about it... usually they are the ones who let me know something is weirding out in Canvas because they are using it way more than me. Now I am guessing it is just a hiccup here on my computer.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi laurakgibbs

Is it possible you are linking to an http web site?

Browsers on an HTTPS website, don't like to open HTTP websites without disabling security for that website. I just tested this with an HTTPS external site, HTTP external site, and an HTTPS inside classroom site, and could not recreate your error.

Kelley

Hi Kelley, these are the Canvas Pages links, like this one:

Blog Stream: MLLL-3043 Myth-Folklore - Spring 2018 

That's what makes it so weird!

I'm at my dad's right now so I don't have another computer with me to test on, but I bet if I clear out Canvas cookies, we'll be good. I've honestly never looked to see what kinds of cookies Instructure leaves behind, so I am kind of curious. 🙂

john_morris
Explorer II

Try deleting and re-adding the redirect. I use it too. For me, the blue "Redirect" button flashes for 1-2 seconds, but then the appropriate page opens. I'm pointing to a Content Page in Canvas.

Thank you,  @john_morris ‌! I am going to try the cookie purge later tonight, and if that doesn't work I will reinstall the redirect tool. I hadn't thought about trying that but of course it would be easy to do. THANK YOU.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi laurakgibbs! Have you found a fix for the delayed/rerouted Redirect Tool? Was the reinstall the solution? I hope the answer was easy, and I look forward to learning from your experience. Smiley Happy

Hi  @klundstrum ‌, and thanks for checking back; there was a bug fix that took care of this, and I haven't had the problem since! Thank goodness: I use the redirect tool for lots of internal course navigation! 🙂

View solution in original post