cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

What is a Course Admin?

Jump to solution

What is the role of a Course Admin?  I am our district Canvas admin. As of last week, we did not have any Course Admins listed under Permissions. I received an email from someone in curriculum about a problem with a student login. When I went in to do some troubleshooting, I went into the class and noticed that there were 4 people listed as Course Admins. When I went into Permissions this role had been added and these people basically have all of the rights that I have. I know that there is one other person in the district with admin rights. I figure he probably set this up. But what exactly is the purpose of a Course Admin? Any help with a detailed definition of this role will help me with discussing this with some of the individuals involved with this. Thanks so much for all the help you can give.

Michele Hinojosa

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

mhinojosa@dsdmail.net, "Course Admin" is not one of the default course-level roles in Canvas. The default course roles are student, teacher (instructor), teacher assistant (TA), designer, and observer, as detailed in How do I create course-level roles in an account? ​ Is it possible that the other account admin you mentioned, or a sub-account admin, or a local admin, created this custom course-level role and enrolled people in courses with that custom role? If that's the case, I think you will need to ask him directly to provide his rationale for creating the role.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

mhinojosa@dsdmail.net, "Course Admin" is not one of the default course-level roles in Canvas. The default course roles are student, teacher (instructor), teacher assistant (TA), designer, and observer, as detailed in How do I create course-level roles in an account? ​ Is it possible that the other account admin you mentioned, or a sub-account admin, or a local admin, created this custom course-level role and enrolled people in courses with that custom role? If that's the case, I think you will need to ask him directly to provide his rationale for creating the role.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks. This is just what I needed. The only difference I could see with this role and a teacher role was the ability to add or remove students which we don't allow with out teacher roles.