What is a threaded Discussion and why would I want it?

Jump to solution
cbuckley2
Community Novice

I am learning "Discussions." The term "threaded discussions" is used with no explanation nor link.

In the list of Discussion set-up choices:

Options                Allow threaded replies

What is that? 

Why would I want it (or not)

Thanks!

Con Buckley

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @cbuckley2  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  Discussion threads are very common...not just in Canvas or here in the Community website...but all over the internet.  There are special interest forums all over the internet that take advantage of threaded discussions.  This Wikipedia page, Conversation threading - Wikipedia, might be of help to you.  There is a screen shot near the upper right hand corner of this page, and it shows an example of e-mail threading.  The same kind of concept can apply to discussion topics as well.  When you look at a discussion thread, any replies are indented so you can tell who has replied.  Any replies to those replies are typically indented another level deep.  So, it's a way of easily telling who people are replying to in discussion topics.  

An example (and there are literally thousands upon thousands of these here in the Community) would be this topic: New Gradebook Grade Post Policy Hide Grade Issues/Questions.  Scroll down the topic, and you'll see how Community member replies are indented to easily follow the discussion.

You might want to also check out this short tutorial video:

I hope this helps, Con.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes