cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cvass
Community Member

What is recommended for posting jobs for students to view?

Jump to solution

Is Canvas a good platform for a job board? If so, any recommendations on where to put it within the site, if it has the capability? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

At my institution, we have a "Mega Course" in which all students are enrolled. Inside, we post important information, and just recently, we added a Student Employment page. That way, when local businesses contact us looking for part-time summer help from our high school students, we have a way to distribute the information without bombarding our entire student body with an email.

On our Student Employment page, we embedded a Google Spreadsheet. That way, the individuals who receive the details can have access to the Spreadsheet without needing access to the entire course. Additionally, the spreadsheet is sortable and searchable. We don't have a long list of options for our students at the moment, but it seems to work well.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cvass ‌, I think the answer to this depends on what you want the students to be able to do with the postings. Is it just a static list, or do you envision having students click on the links to apply? I can think of other issues regarding visibility and searchability (typically job postings can be searched through a school website's global search; postings in Canvas will not be universally searchable in this fashion). So please give us more details about what you have in mind.

cvass
Community Member

Thank you, Stefanie. I would like to be able to have links that the students can click to go to specific employers websites, or linked information about the jobs they have available. We have job recruiters and employers reach out to us weekly and I would like to deliver this information to the students in the best way possible. The searching would not be an issue as I think they would just need to be able to scroll through all my postings. I would post a job as soon as it is sent to me.

It's certainly a novel use of a Canvas course,  @cvass , but what is Canvas if not novel? Smiley Happy 

The course would most likely need to be publicly visible, and students need to know how to find it. Or, if you had the wherewithal to enroll all of your students in that course--i.e. not have it publicly visible--then you might be able to figure out a way to have notifications sent out from it, depending on how you post the jobs.

But I don't have personal experience with such an implementation, and I'm looking forward to hearing what other Community members have to say.

cvass
Community Member

Thank you, Stefanie, so much! I'm not sure I will use a Canvas course for the job postings yet, but I do appreciate your help and insight, and also look forward to others thoughts on this.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

At my institution, we have a "Mega Course" in which all students are enrolled. Inside, we post important information, and just recently, we added a Student Employment page. That way, when local businesses contact us looking for part-time summer help from our high school students, we have a way to distribute the information without bombarding our entire student body with an email.

On our Student Employment page, we embedded a Google Spreadsheet. That way, the individuals who receive the details can have access to the Spreadsheet without needing access to the entire course. Additionally, the spreadsheet is sortable and searchable. We don't have a long list of options for our students at the moment, but it seems to work well.

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cvass ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Yes, I've found the information I needed. Thanks so much for following up.