What is the best way to differentiate assignments in Canvas?

Jump to solution
kaeli_madsen1
Community Explorer

I know that Canvas has Mastery Paths, but what if I have a group of students on IEPs, for example, to whom I know I just need to give a simplified or shorter version of an assignment, or include simplified instructions etc...?

I don't necessarily need to give them an assessment to determine what accommodations they need. Those are already included in the IEP and I'm required to provide them. 

So far in Canvas, this has been a nightmare to figure out.  

I can create 3 versions of the assignment, and make three Canvas assignments, but then I have to go in to the assignment and manually type in each student I want to assign it to for each of the three assignments. Is there anyway to create group lists in Canvas so I can just select the whole group of students at once like "Group A" and catch all my IEP kids that need the specific accommodations written in to that assignment? 

I know I can create groups, but then they have to collaborate on the assignment. Is there a way to make a named list (kind of like the sections) and assign an assignment only to that list?

I thought about creating a new section, but then it won't sync to my SIS.

Does anyone have a solution or workaround?

How are you assigning differentiated assignments on Canvas? 

1 Solution
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Kaeli Madsen and Sara Davick,

Kaeli solved her own problem when she said:

I know I can create groups, but then they have to collaborate on the assignment. Is there a way to make a named list (kind of like the sections) and assign an assignment only to that list?

I thought about creating a new section, but then it won't sync to my SIS.

Yes, create the section within your Canvas course and no, you don't want it to sync to the SIS.

How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10434-4152669141 

Someone in the community once explained that Groups are for collaboration and Sections for differentiation. I've used the section trick in Canvas very successfully to allow students just to see the assignments for them even in a course where there are more assignments if you're taking the course for more credits. What a whiz! :smileygrin:

And Bravo for making the 3 different assignments,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

0 Likes