What is the best way to embed images?

Jump to solution
cjensen4
Community Novice

I am creating a geometry quiz and need to embed images of geometric figures.  I have three different outcomes that I just experienced and I bet there is an easy explanation out there but I couldn't find it by searching previous questions.

first:  I took a screen shot of an image from an online homework tool I use.  I saved it and uploaded it  into Canvas using the side bar on the right.  I did not see the image, just what appeared to be a link to the image. It was a png file and when I clicked on it, the file did open and the image did show. I was only able to upload when I checked the "decorative image" box.

second: I deleted and reloaded the image and the second time, the image was visible in the question.

third:  I am uploading a second image and now I do not have to check the "decorative image" box.  It did upload just fine.

Also, I now have two copies of the first image, appearing on the side bar.  This is most likely a computer speed issue, right?  Would my quiz images have been fine, had I just trusted that they would eventually appear?  Is there a browser that is preferred when uploading images?  And why did I not need to call the image a decorative image the second time? 

In general, I would love to know the cleanest, simplest process for taking a screen shot and embedding it in a quiz question. 

Thanks,

Carter

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @ninajenn01  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The method that you used is correct, and likely it was upload time that messed with you. Likely not your browser.

As for the "decorative Image" question, screenshots are not accessible for people using screenreader tech, and really should not be used to convey information. So Canvas is really asking you, "Is this image meant to convey information?"

Canvas is, for the most part, browser neutral except that you need to use the most recent two versions of any browser. Learn more at which browser should i use for canvas?

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes