cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

What is the easiest way to send email to all but x people in a class

Jump to solution

Say there is 50 students in a class. And I would like to email all but John Smith and Stacy Johnson. What would be the quickest way to achieve this in Canvas natively. Is that possible?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Team
Community Team

hfchen

chofer@morainepark.edu​ is correct in his explanation above.

The other thing I was thinking is that you must be excluding those few students for a reason?  The Message Students Who...​ may be an option for you?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hfchen​...

I was looking through the Canvas Guides, and it doesn't look like this is possible.  You can select all people in a class or select specific people.  However, you can't choose everyone and then delete certain people from that list...from what I can tell.  I was looking at this Guide for reference: How do I compose and send a message?.  I wasn't able to find a suggestion similar to what you were asking, so you might want to create a new Feature Idea by going to this link: Canvas Feature Ideas.

Also, keep in mind that the messaging system is not really e-mailing.  It's messaging.  Students (well, any user for that matter) can choose whether or not they want to receive e-mails via the Messaging/Conversations area of Canvas.  They could, potentially, choose not to receive any e-mails at all and receive all communications via text message, for example.  Also, users can choose the frequency of those e-mails, text messages, etc. (Right away, Daily, Weekly, Not at all).

Hope this information is helpful to you!

Thank you Chris.

Community Team
Community Team

hfchen

chofer@morainepark.edu​ is correct in his explanation above.

The other thing I was thinking is that you must be excluding those few students for a reason?  The Message Students Who...​ may be an option for you?

View solution in original post

Actually this is exactly what I wanted.

Thank you so much.